home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > East Midlands > East Midlands Members Cars

Old 28-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
Harper
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
My cars blog - dont post :D

Just read dyno's and thought its a really good idea so im gonna do mine

I bought the car in june last year. it was a part ex at a used car dealer next to the peugeot garage i work at. I enquired into how much they wanted for it, and at first they said 900. It looked a bit tired but i did some research and found this website, and figured it would be worth buying if it was ok mechanically. It wasn't. At all.

The next day i took it to my work to give it a once over, and basically it was a complete shed. I went back to the dealer disappointed and told him it was a bag of shit and wasnt worth 900. He then got the manager, and he said i could have it for 500. I bit his hand off

I replaced the cambelt the day i bought it as the old one was loose and flapping around violently. I then put it in for MOT knowing it would fail but not how badly. It turned out it wasnt too bad MOT wise, just failing on both lower arms and a couple of minor things.
However, it also needed extensive work mechanically. Over the course of the next couple of months i did the following.....

1) Fitted new gearbox bearings as the old ones were completely shot, it had also took out the primary shaft seal spilling gear oil over the clutch, so i replaced the clutch and the seal as well.
2) Fitted a new standard exhaust system as the previous owner had fitted a godawful backbox that stuck out about 6 inches from the rear bumper.
3) Fitted a brand new set of steelies to replace the gay 5 spoke alloys that were on the car.
4) Replaced the lower arms
5) Gave the car a good valet and t - cut, took all the interior out and cleaned thoroughly as it was filthy.
6) Carried out a full service
7) Fitted a new bonnet badge as the old one was very faded
8) Fitted new ARB droplinks
9) Fitted new door lock barrels as the old ones had been screwdrivered

In september she was ready, so i got her MOT'd and put her on the road.

Within a couple of weeks i had a Cobra CAT 1 alarm and immobilizer fitted, along with remote central locking for piece of mind.

It stayed standard for about 5 minutes as i fitted a wishbone brace and a de-cat pipe very soon after i started using her.

And it stayed standard apart from this for a couple of months. The next modification i did was to fit OMP braided brake hoses. I was very happy with these as the pedal feel improved no end.

I then decided to remove the rear seats for weight saving purposes but left all the trim in for the time being.

The next thing i did was to fit a 4-2-1 manifold which i got 2nd hand for a good price. This gave a noticeable improvement in performance.

I didnt do much to it for a while, just kept her as she was, looking out for bargains. I found one in the shape of a pugsport that was 2 months old for 150 (cheers g-sport )

Then i fitted 206 GTI front brakes. The stopping power is now awesome.

I then decided to fully strip the interior of all rear trim, and all sound deadening, and i fitted a fire extinguisher.

I also fitted a 206 rear wiper arm, as my old metal one was rusty and looked shabby, i picked the 206 one over a standard metal one as it looks more modern, and was about half the price of the metal one.

I then bought an OMP steering wheel off Petros at trax for 60

The latest thing i have done it to fit a standard airbox, fitted with an ITG panel filter, and a cut out front. This also notably improved the performance.

Thats it for now
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
Harper

User Gallery
over the past 10 days or so that i havent been on here, i decided it really was time for some new tires as my old ones were, quite frankly, shit.

So i invested in a set of pirrelli P6000's and im mega happy, the grip now is so much better, i couldnt believe what difference a good set of tires made compared to a cheap set.

Today i also decided to add a touch of luxury and fit a fag lighter, as i have a habit of letting my phone battery die a lot, so wanted it to plug a charger into when im out and about.
Old 15-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Harper

User Gallery
nothing to report yet this year. ive been lazy with her.

not been cleaned in 2 months inside or out so its pretty ditched. also is about to hit 100,000 miles

im just in the process of saving money at the minute to hopefully buy a few goodies in time for fcs.
Old 23-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Harper

User Gallery
spring update...........

since my last post i have fitted graphite 14 inch nimrods, cut a mega big hole in the front of my airbox for sexual induction noise, rotated my struts, fitted xenon headlamps and skimmed and cleaned my brakes.

on order is a strut brace that will hopefully arrive tomorrow and be fitted in time for sundays excursion, and i also need to get round to painting my calipers red and moving my battery to the boot.

And thats it as ive been busy with other cars.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Harper

User Gallery
today i decided to tint my rear lights to continue the black and white theme on my car

Old 25-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Harper

User Gallery
After carefull deliberating, i decided to remove all the tints and stickers from my car. Im glad i did now as it looks a lot better i think. The only annoyance was that my rear glass is now all scratched from removing the glue that was left behind from the tint film, so i will be looking into getting perspex windows asap.

I also renewed the boot stickers as my old ones were looking worse for wear.

Other than this, i bit the bullet and cleaned her, giving it a polish at the same time.

Old 26-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
Harper

User Gallery
Today i was mostly painting my calipers. I thought a nice shade of red would be just the ticket so i cracked on painting them as soon as i got home from work and here are the finished results.

I think they look shit hot......

Old 27-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Harper

User Gallery
Im finally getting my arse into gear and getting my car ready for show season. Today i was busy again, this time respraying my bootspace. The old paint was faded, and scratched up to fuck so i was determined to make it look better, which i think i did. much, much better.

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 28-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
Harper

User Gallery
Today another little improvement carried out. As you know from the above posts i smoked my rear lights. Well, as i decided to remove all my tints etc, i didnt think the lights looked right anymore. That coupled with the fact that the passenger side lens was cracked so the unit was like a fishbowl, causing sidelight to flash when the indicator was on, meant i decided to visit my local scrapyard to get some 2nd hand units. 20 plus VAT for each unit, fitting took all of 5 minutes and now it looks better and all the lights work as they should.

Old 29-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
Harper

User Gallery
Today i fitted my drivers seat harness. Didnt fit the passenger one as kate didnt want to wear it

The difference it makes is actually quite shocking, in that because i am now pinned to my seat, i can throw the car into corners and brake much harder with a lot more confidence than a normal seatbelt.

Recommended
Old 30-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #11
Harper

User Gallery
This morning i fitted the harness to the passenger seat.

After my spirited drive last night, kate really noticed she was getting thrown about a lot more than she used to due to my increased confidence, and after sitting in my seat with the harness on, she decided they weren't all that bad, so she now has her harness as well

Old 06-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
Harper

User Gallery
Today i fitted poly anti roll bar bushes, might be psycosomatic but it feels slightly stiffer in cornering now.

The major mod today though was the fitting of these bad boys

bought from lee c at a bargain price, i took advantage of his poorly rallye to snap them up within minutes of him putting them up for sale. was straight in the van up to barnsley then straight back home to fit them
Old 09-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #13
Harper

User Gallery
Maintenance work today.

If you have read my thread "god damn car" you will have noticed i had a few faults crop up. Well today i fixed the most urgent one, that being the whining noise. At work i traced the noise to being the cambelt tensioner, so got a nice shiney new one and fitted it as soon as i got back from work. Much better now it doesnt sound like a cat is dying under my bonnet.

Im glad i caught it early enough to nip it in the bud, the old one was absolutely knackered, rough as hell and surely would have let go sooner rather than later with disastrous consequenses.

Now i can drive it properly again instead of keeping it under 2500 rpm
Old 19-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #14
Harper

User Gallery
Today i set about stripping the car further.

Now kates diesel 106 is road legal, ill be using that more and more and the rallye less and less () so i thought i would go a stage further in the stripping, removing the rear wiper, all wiring that wasnt needed, and all the rear spot welded brackets have come off, along with 1 boot strut as the remaining strut is just strong enough to hold the now bare hatch up. I also ground off the spare wheel cradle supports as these were no longer needed either. Lots of little things add up to a fair bit and i estimate the bag of crap to weight between 7 and 10 kg
Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #15
Harper

User Gallery
Havent posted for a couple of weeks what with fcs eating my funds, but i bought a nissens alloy rad from mark at fcs, and fitted it on wednesday evening after work.

results : pleasently surprised, the temp gauge now sits between 1/2 and 3/4 instead of bang on 3/4, so it must be doing its job

old vs new

fitted

bleeding the system with my fandango gravity bottle
Old 26-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #16
Harper

User Gallery
Been a while since i have done anything to my car, but a healthy profit on the last car i sold allowed me to treat the banshee to some uprated front suspension arm bushes.

i chose powerflex front bushes, and solid nylon rear bushes of shenpars own design, and fitted them this morning/afternoon. they were a right git as my old bushes were in good condition and were therefore a bollock ache to get off (had to use a hammer and chisel as my angle grinder wheel was too small). the front bushes were a lot easier as i drilled holes around the outer rubber which allowed me to twist the bush in a vice and break it, enabling the metal sleeve to be peened in and hammered out with no real problems. i am happy and pleasently surprised with the results, the car now feels sharper and a lot more positive in the corners, especially in sharper bends where it would lose a bit of traction before, now it literally does feel like its on rails. RECOMMENDED

new bushes in the arms

and fitted

Old 04-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #17
Harper

User Gallery
again, been a while since i updated this, but thats becuase ive been trying to save some money. well, i suceeded and was doing well until my car blew its head gasket at the last donnington trackday. so i thought sod it, whilst the head is off ill treat it. so i had it crack tested for peace of mind, and when that turned out ok, i had it skimmed, ports overbored and polished, and 3 angle valve seats cut. then when i went to shenpar to fetch the head back i decided to spend even more and get a set of group N engine mounts. total bill............475

i also re wrapped my exhuast manifold today, as i didnt order enough last time so it was a bit crappy, this time i got plenty and its on nice and thick so should be a lot more effective.

just waiting on my PTFE inlet gasket before i put the head back together and refit it, and ive still got a few other bits and bobs to sort out before i unleash it back onto the unsuspecting corsa brigade so i reckon on another couple of weeks in the little diesel yet.
Old 21-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #18
Harper

User Gallery
well after 10 weeks on axle stands, i finally got my arse into gear and put the head back on this morning. after flattening the battery and then jumping it off the focus for another 5 minutes, it finally sputtered into life and after a few blips of the throttle settled into a nice steady idle.

just got to finish a few jobs now like refitting the radiator, soldering my power cables together and change the oil and filter and a few other little odds and ends and she'll be back terrorising repmobiles very soon

to say im delighted is an understatement, just cant wait to get behind the wheel again, which, with any luck, will be tomorrow
Old 27-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #19
matt_e

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
repmobiles
? are they?
matt_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #20
Harper

User Gallery
And so, the end of an era. I sold my rallye to Lee C yesterday. I never used it and couldn't justify keeping it when it would have just sat there unused, so i cashed in.

Bye Bye Rallye, you served me well