home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > East Midlands > East Midlands Members Cars

Old 17-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
bendee
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery Car Blog
Bendee's bianca s2 16v

Here we are again with rallye number 5, a 16v bianca thats been in the club for a while i believe.
my last project started to go abit too far and cost alot of money i want to go back to basics with a decent spec that isnt going to break the bank and require all my time so when this came up for sale by the same guy i bought my previous rallye off i thought id give it a go.
so on Saturday i jumped the gun and went and collected a 12 point safety devices cage.

On the Sunday i collected the car. On the outside it looks pretty good but underneath it needs some work. not much of a problem for me ill get them patched up and get down to the important stuff, driving.

A quick check over and the cars mods are
omp upper and lower braces
266mm brakes
15 inch turinis
raceland manifold
2 inch pugsport
b&m quickshift
CDA carbon induction kit
lowering springs unsure what, look like standard dampers. all of which are being sold to hopefully recoup the majority of the cost of the car.

I've got plenty of parts for it to go on from the previous project.

hi spec ultralites 266mm
turinis (better condition and better tyres)
pugsport (again better condition)
sparco steering wheel
sparco peugeot sport bucket seats
sparco 6 point harnesses
satchshifter
satchel lower brace
bilstien b8 dampers
full set of polybushed
group n engine mounts
new droplinks and other bits and bobs
mocal oil cooler
oddyssey lightweight battery

I also have full braided lines and wilwood bais valve and swirl pot set up that im considering putting on as the fuel lines are going to be in the way of the cage so nice new lines would be nice and also the brake lines under the car may need some attention for the next mot so getting the lot changed now might be a good idea.
thats quite a list of things for me to be cracking on with this week im a slow worker so itll be a task.

First thing first was for me to start getting the interior out.

It was the first time id took a interior out of a 106 that had obviously not been taken out before all the fitting where still there, felt strange lol.

Whilst stripping it seemed like there was petrol under the carpet, not sure how the lines seemed alright unless one had been taken off previously and the petrol not cleaned.

It was abit grim but it cleaned up alright

At the end of the day id removed most of the fuel from the tank as it was going to be removed for the cage plates being welded in. id removed the roof brace for the cage to fit. and got most the interior and sound deadening removed (still the tar stuff to tackle) id also trimmed the dash for room for the satchshift to work.

It doesn't seem like id done much today but only had half a day on it due to going into work. Also a couple of deliveries turned up. some oil from opie oils and some hel braided lines.

bendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
matty_d

User Gallery
Back to basics and something not to pricey.... Soooo, straight in with a 12pt SD cage it is then aha.

Looks smart!
matty_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
compared to my last build i meant haha cheers
Old 17-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Aleksandr
SOUTH EAST GROUP LEADER #2

User Gallery Car Blog
Bloody hell dude! No messing about.

Do you want to sell the seats, door cards and carpet? Plus any other trim and screws that come off.

My Pugsport engine mounts will be coming off soon. Could do a swap if you are looking for engine mounts.

Spending too much money on small french hatchbacks since 2007...
Aleksandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
matty_d

User Gallery
Just keep telling yourself that...
matty_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Good work.
- Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
- Seat Supercopa
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
Bloody hell dude! No messing about.

Do you want to sell the seats, door cards and carpet? Plus any other trim and screws that come off.

My Pugsport engine mounts will be coming off soon. Could do a swap if you are looking for engine mounts.
you got the full set? i have mounts for a s1 but unsure if theyre interchangeable? i think its only the top ecu side mount that may differ? i do have the full interior it isnt imaculate and the drivers seat will need looking at as it wobbles abit, probably a bolt missing or something.
Old 17-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
Haven't got the fork bush but I have the solid lower mount, the gearbox mount and the hydraulic engine mount.

S1 and S2 aren't usually interchangeable unless a late S1 which has S2 mounts.

Not fussed if the seats aren't immaculate. Just want to get back to standard for when it goes up for sale.

Old 17-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
leeds_182

User Gallery
Nice ride.
leeds_182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Hoogi

User Gallery
Very nice...........looks a solid motor.
Hoogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
I think I'll only need the main engine mount then my others would all fit but I'd defo do a deal on them yeah.
Old 18-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
Today's work seemed to take forever and it feels like little was done but i didn't really stop, ill say it again. im a slow worker.

Started off taking the exhaust off then the tank fairly straight forward, i cut the fuel lines so it seems im going to need to use my fuel system, no bother would just of been nice to have the money rather than need to use it.

Next was to make some plates up for the cage. instead of paying 70 for some already made up plates i thought id make my own. now i don't really have anything to bend 3mm sheet metal so i thought id cut tack then weld any bends in. the metal cost me 7 and as a complete guess at the length i was surprised to see i had 2cm left over. chuffed lol.

The two rear mounts

I had to stick the main loop of the cage in to see what mounting it would be like as the floor is uneven and the cage didn't seem to be shaped to fit, what have other people done here? ive just shaped it to fit.

A pic with the main hoop fitted showing the roof brace removed that i did yesterday.

The two middle mounts and one with a plate to cover the fuel line holes.

The two front ones are yet to be trimmed and fitted.

Lastly i made some seat rails up using some left over metal 3mm thick and 5x1cm ish so plenty up to the job.

hopefully have the cage in and seat rails in tomorrow.
Old 18-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Dieseldave

User Gallery
Nice work. Peugeot should have sold these with cages, it would have saved everybody
a load of hassle.
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
you know what thats exactly what i was thinking whilst doing it, sell them with the cage or with the mounts already in place lol.
Old 19-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
Well bugger me todays been a long one. felt like its been non stop infact thats what its been. bit of a nightmare with the cage trying to get it all lined up its been in and out more times times than i care to remember.
it isnt quite in, it needs the holes drilling then its in. and its staying in if i have to get the dash out i think ill cry. ill let the pics do the talking.

Front legs

Middle legs

Rears

Seat rails

Couple of bigger pictures. you can see i had the satchshift base welded in.

Old 24-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
Well its been a long week and it doesn't feel like much has been done, realistically quite a bit has been done but there's still plenty to do. hopefully now with the car more or less stripped of the bits i no longer need it shouldn't be too much hassle building it back up.
not many pictures but ive removed the brake lines, fuel system, tar in foot wells.

A full day of non stop rain didnt hold me and a mate back, we did what we could with the little shelter we had.

The front has been stripped back so i can start patch the rust holes. the car was ran without inner arch liners so it was rather dirty.

Tar removed, that job never gets any better. Shifter fitted. Unfortunately the gearbox shifter fork is missing the ball i need to get the shifter working as it should so im on the hunt for a new one.

Basically every job so far has taken 3 times longer than it should all the bolts have been rusty and most have snapped meaning they needed drilling out and re tapping. Removing the slam panel and drill the holes took 1.45 hours that's 4 bolts so a massive drain on time.
I wanted most of it done this week but the more i strip it back the more i see it'll be a matter of weeks not days to have it sorted, just wish i had more time.
Old 25-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #17
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
Well i had a early finish at work today so started prodding the rust.

When i got the car it didnt look so bad a easy job to patch but inevitably the more you look for rust on these the more you will find.

I then got to the point of fuck this lets get the engine out so i can do it properly theres no point sorting rust but leaving it in other places.

im once again digging another hole but im trying my best not to go mad just get the basics done.
Old 24-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
Ive left it a while since my last update, ive done loads but it doesnt seem to show but iam moving along slowly but surely. ive just uploaded 70 pictures so ill try and keep it small.

I said goodbye to my previous project which left me with plenty of space in the garage, pretty sad it went especially when i look at the new one and realise im just doing everything over again just not to the previous standard.

firstly some new bits, group a Peugeot sport engine mounts.

aerial blank

Motul rbf 660 brake fluid

theres more new bits but ill save them for later.

the shell is now is decent enough shape the rust from the engine bay has been removed and fresh metal has been put in its place. how long untill its back is anyones guess.
i made some panels up and had them welded in, again it was tricky to weld due to the poor metal conditions but its certainly better than before.

with them welded in i stuck some some seam sealer down to seal the joins.
and with one last coat of primer it was ready to paint.

after about 3 coats of paint.

I also made the front radiator panel removable. some 3mm sheet metal was used for the end plates i shaped them up and had them welded to the panel, it will make taking the engine out in future much easier.

on the inside i had a tab made up for the brake bias valve

I had some bolts welded on for the battery cage.

And more bolts welded through the floor for the fuel system.

Last edited by bendee; 24-07-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 24-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
previously i had dry fitted my brake lines.

i had made up two little bits for the fuel system and bonnet pull cable as im running the sytem through the bulkhead in its standard location i had to blank the hole. this will go through the bulkhead with a plate either side.

Also i had fitted the bulkhead fitting for the battery cable.

i decided to fit the seat rails before i paint it or else id mark the fresh paint.

id also started to fit my fuel system along with my brake lines to get a idea of how it would go, i fitted the first line to see how the bend would go, i didnt like it and it turned out i had to buy a banjo for the fuel pump as id taken off a valve on the end that keeps the pressure in the system and aids starting.

the wasted fitting, money down the drain.

The new banjo fitting including the valve.

ive also built up my front suspension and started on the wishbones (ballache)
turns out the car had b4 front dampers here they are in comparison to the b8s that have gone on.

And with all this work ive destroyed my newish vice around 2 months old. and burnt out my drill. new one ordered and turned up today and it was 110v and not the 240v i need.

ill be making some decent progress from now on i hope as i can do all the work myself and i wont be waiting on others.

Last edited by bendee; 24-07-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 24-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Get a British Made Record vice off eBay and you won't look back. Good progress...
Old 25-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #21
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
That's the second time I've been advised to get a record vice. Ill defo look into one if machine mart won't replace it.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
Managed to get a few bits sorted before i leave for tenerife for a week. I started with under sealing the front arches.

Then i started to prep the inside for a quick blast of paint.

a few quick coats. it isnt perfect but its still looking pretty good.

Then it was onto fitting bits. finished up with the brake lines in, swirl pot, filter and pump. ended up making all the fuel lines up the -6 fittings where effortless to make but the -8 from the pot to pump took 5 attempts.

its abit messy but nothings screwed down yet.

The battery's in and earthed

Old 26-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
a few updates of the progress ive made over the last few days. i got some grip tape and done both front footwells a proper ball ache to get a decent job done with this stuff.

i put the drivers seat in and fitted the harness, also shortened the hose from swirl pot to the pump.

i bought a footrest to protect the fuel lines brake lines and the battery cable.

also got the engine back in and on its new mounts, also done about a million other little jobs that arnt worth mentioning but heres how the bays looking atm.
Old 26-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
Nice dude!

Old 26-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
mattrallye

User Gallery Car Blog
Nice work!

Partner at Trackspec - Performance parts for enthusiasts
info@trackspec.co.uk
www.trackspec.co.uk
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #26
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Cracking progress!
Nice one.

- Seat Supercopa
Old 27-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #27
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
thanks guys, feeling good that im on the enjoyable bit of putting it back together. new car purchase may slow things down a teeny bit.
Old 18-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #28
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
A few little updates, not really managed to get much done but heres the progress.

I had to replace the banjos from the brake lines for 90 degree fittings for the master cylinder a unfortunate expense. so i made the new lines up.

I then finished off my slam panel i had previously started many weeks ago. i had a flaring tool so put it to good use.

I made up my wishbones. thanks to rob at constella for letting me use his press.

And got them fitted along with the satchell lower brace which was a ball ache due to nothing wanting to line up. and the ARB with polybushes

I bought a reconditioned rear axle with a 25mm anti roll bar and 23mm torsion bars and solid baker bm mounts it had new bearings etc but wasnt very clean. so i gave it a spruce up. along with the disk covers. tried to refurb the calipers (i have 4 now) and all 4 caipers bleed screws have snapped. all solid easy outs dont work so look like ill need some more.

As i was painting the slam panel i gave the areal blank a coat of paint.

i have done more but you wouldnt want to see pics of that. not too much left now.

part of the reason ive not made much progress on the ralye is a new purchase. a RB 182 daily. a nice motor gaz gold coilovers turinis scorpion exhaust and remap. had to remove the stripes it came with and paint the wheels as they was yellow.

Last edited by bendee; 18-09-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #29
Aleksandr

User Gallery Car Blog
Loving the 182. My favourite colour!

Get some tyre shine on there stat.

Old 18-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
It needs cleaning I've not had the time to do it in the last 3 weeks it desperately needs polishing.
Old 28-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
been a while since ive updated this as ive not done all that much.

ive got the rear beam on all brake lines done handbrake cables on and dampers done.

id undersealed the inner arches.

whilst trying to fit the front brake lines and had a moment of sillyness. the car fell off its axle stands. lucking only a broken axle stand and a bent rear disk shield is all it suffered.

im leaving the brake lines for someone whos more capable as i have a couple jobs needing doing, two new wheel bearings the external pump wiring in and the brakes setting up. plus itll be nice to have a check over by someone else.
im waiting on a couple qoutes for the work so hopefully wont be long till its done and ready for a mot.

ive added some rubber trim on the slam panel to neaten it up. and fitted the oil catch tank, probably not the best place for it but itll hopefully do.

ive also added some aerocatch bonnet pins.

and the cars on all 4's waiting for its work

cheeky couple with the 182

Old 28-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
Awesome.
I'd be keeping an eye on the catch tank though. Bit too close to the manifold for my liking.

- Seat Supercopa
Old 28-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #33
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
Yeah that was a worry of mine it won't be staying too long tho ill get a proper one soon enough. This is a ebay special.
Old 28-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #34
scottmmw

User Gallery
Looks very nice man!
Old 29-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #35
LukeS1Stoke
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Nice project mate, looks very purposeful!
LukeS1Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #36
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
Cheers guys. Need page 2 already it takes ages
To load lol
Old 11-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #37
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
I don't really know where to start with this post but since it was last updated with it going to constella to be finished off. its been sorted has a mot and is now taxed, ive just got back from my first drive and its alot of fun. im chuffed to bits to actually of finished a car.

The car went to constella needing the brakes finishing off and bleeding, sounds simple but it hasnt been.
Firstly the front brake line had a hole in so it was pissing fluid out.
Id put the lines on the master cylinder the wrong way round (only realized this after bleeding the brakes)
The brand new hi-spec caliper wasn't letting fluid through so that needed stripping down. when stripped down we found nothing rebuilt it and it was fine.
The fittings i had for the bias valve weren't sealing and was leaking fluid out. 20 quid later and a trip to graham goodes for two tiny Goodrich fittings it was sealed.
In the end i lost count on the amount of times the brakes were bled.

The fuel system needed checking over and the 044 needed wiring in. Rob ended up moving the bulkhead fittings from the factory locations as he felt they was too close to the steering arms.

The fuel rail fittings where changed and he used the original fittings clipped up to the braided line.

A leak was found previous to this just randomly pissing fuel out at a worrying rate. and it wasn't the worse he had seen with brand new fuel line, scary.

We completely under sealed the car again whilst it was up on the ramp with some decent stuff. its now sealed like a beast.

Rob used a old fitting and tigged it onto the rocker cover for use with a oil catch tank. he also cut off the tab and re tigged it so a mounting bracket wasn't needed. Handy!
the strut brace has also previously been painted. ill just need to paint the covers the reds abit shit.

Ive fitted a new washer fluid pump as the last one popped. And also some new headlight bulbs the last ones had a blue tint to them, so wasn't a good look.

There's been alot done im struggling to think what else has been done but i know ive missed bits. it went through its mot first time with no advisory's and has been great to drive. i know there's still one or two bits i need to do but atm im just enjoying driving it. and im looking forward to Donington on the 15th of feb. i did it in the Clio on the 15th of December so it'll be a good comparison between the two cars.

im going to start looking for some decent track tires so if anyone has any advice that would be great.

Some pics..

The last few months has been one hell of a drag and full of head scratching and thoughts of selling up. im glad i didn't!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #38
LukeS1Stoke

User Gallery
Great to see it back on the road, looks mint!
Old 13-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #39
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
cheers mate. still lots left to do.
Old 13-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #40
aterro

User Gallery
Awesome dude.
What did you use to underseal? & to spray your interior?
aterro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #41
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
I used Schultz (I think that's how it's spelt) and I used rattle cans made up by my local motor factors. Not a perfect match but its fine for the inside.
Old 16-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #42
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
i painted the rocker covers yesterday, the red was terrible.

Old 29-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #43
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
Ive made some purchases in the run up to cadwell this saturday.

Firstly longachre wide view rear view mirror i didnt go for the mounts as they didnt look like they would fit as its a tight fit with the cage. plus they aint cheap. and some airbox airfeed pipe.

A gopro hero 3 black with roll cage mount, seems like a cracking bit of kit and pretty smart you can run it off your phone. would certainly make things easier.

That position gives this view. poor quality due to a screen shot off my phone in the gopro app

Some s2 rallye steels with medium compound a048s.

And a 20l jerry can.

Ive done the usual trick and added some speed holes to the front bumper, should aid its cooling.

And lastly some pics of it on the steels.

Do i paint them white?
Old 29-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #44
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Definitely! Looks great though.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #45
LukeS1Stoke

User Gallery
Looks really smart mate, will be lots of fun on track especially with the new toys on it.
IMO You gotta paint the steels white i reckon
Old 29-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #46
mattrallye

User Gallery Car Blog
If you paint them white, by the time you've finished on track they'll be black anyway! lol

Partner at Trackspec - Performance parts for enthusiasts
info@trackspec.co.uk
www.trackspec.co.uk
mattrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #47
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
lol defo my turinis suffer enough with the brake dust as it is, hopefully steelies wouldnt be as bad.
Old 31-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #48
Timberland

User Gallery
Looks like a stockhatch now. Enjoy the trackday, the least of your worries is wheel colour! Get saving for the trailer you need
Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #49
bendee

User Gallery Car Blog
I did Cadwell on Saturday just gone, What a incredible track. It was so so much fun to drive but learning how the car drove and trying to push my luck with a048s as id never been on track with such good tires or experienced that level of grip in a 106 meant i didn't get much time to actually enjoy it like i did the Clio at Donington.

The day didn't go without its glitches, Firstly a presumed in tank pump failing for most of the afternoon meant pushing the car wasn't a good idea it could go upto 5 seconds without any power and cornering Chris' curve flat in 3rd/4th and having the fuel cut meant it got abit out of shape.
Also a cv boot popping off the drive shaft meant the osf arch got abit greasy.

Other than that the car drove the 80+ miles there and back and a full day on the track absolutely fine, i was pretty chuffed with it.

Ive now decided i need to add lightness. The dash, heater matrix etc will all be taken out and ill be looking into removing the power steering as i feel the car is missing a number of things that my last s1 had. 1 being the nimbleness i can feel the weight with this compared to the s1. 2 being the feedback through the steering wheel, the power steering just numbs it down so it'll be going. And 3 the noise of itbs, this will be sorted some time down the line.

Firsly a pic of the rear view mirror fitted

and before cadwell i made a start of adding lightness. ill get abit more out of this.

i removed the rear seat brackets, i dont think ill need them.

And some pics of the day

thats about all i have, next task is to fit my spare pump and see if it is the in tank pump thats failing then ill be looking at fitting a 255 pump.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #50
Timberland

User Gallery
Nice one! Chris's is flat in 5th........... Ok, that's on a hot day. Well done and roll on the next outing