home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > FOR SALE & WANTED > 106 Rallyes for Sale

106 Rallyes for Sale This is the No.1 place in the world to sell your 106 Rallye

Old 14-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Gunscrossed
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
S1 1.3 Rallye £Sold, Essex

OK, I've taken my S1 to my mate's garage today because it's been running rough. He seems to think the head gasket is on the way out
I don't really have the time or money to sort this out at the moment so I'm putting the car up for sale at £1000. firm.
I've just put 6 months tax on the car and from memory it's MOT'd until about March 2015 but will check later.
Very original Mk1, totally standard and in above average condition imo.
Will put some pics up later but there are some on here in my intro thread.
Pm
Gunscrossed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Standaman94
SOON TO BE FREELOADER - PLEASE JOIN UP NOW!

User Gallery
Well I hope you enjoyed the badge I sent you while it lasted :P

With a mint S1 like that you could probably sell some parts off of it... wink wink nudge nudge But then of course you have to take it apart and deal with whatever is left after the parts are sold.

Since you're about 30 mins from me I'd love to come down and take a look at it before it goes. I've never seen another Rallye in the wild, particularly a mint one no less, so it'll be great to have a look and compare
Standaman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
chrisjp4
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Shame your selling it for such a small problem!! If he's a mate surely you could ask him to fix it for "mate's rate's"?? Maybe out of hours if you buy the parts?

If you weren't so far away I'd do it for £50 to set you right. Shame to sell it after not owning it so long.

Even if you do want to sell it, you'll get a lot more than 1k if you do the belt & gasket before it goes. If you can find someone to do it for £50(which shouldn't be hard out of hours on a 8v!)I'd do it for £50. Get all the parts yourself, around £150, then sell it for £1600 if you still want rid. It nice & original your bound to get that for it easily enough.

What's the mileage on it? It's really not hard on a 8v to do it yourself, sure I've told you this before. But i'll explain it, Put a 6mm drill bit into the flywheel through the engine block by the gearbox, timing covers off & bolt in the timing pulley(you'll probably have to support the engine with a jack & remove the engine mount), the way I get it do TDC, put a breaker bar on the alternator side crank pulley, if your quite big like me you should be able to turn the crank while pushing the 6mm drill bit/allen key into the flywheel until it lock's in, that'll then set it at TDC. Alternator off & timing belt covers, undo the tensioner & take the belt off, obviously locking the cam in place with a bolt of something that fits & doesn't get in the way.

Take the top engine/rocker cover off, drain the oil, then follow the sequence to undo the headbolts(working from the inside out)Take the head off complete, clean all the pistons up & any visible carbon off the engine(use decent masking tape for this around the oil/water ways of the engine so no crap get's in while your cleaning). There's 10 head bolts, 9,5,2,4,7-top set
10,6,1,3,8-nearest to you, undo/tighten them like that if it work's on here.

Then when it's all cleaned up, maybe take the head for a skim(best way to tell IMO is run over it with a metal/100% flat engineering ruler to see if it's pitted)Should only cost £20 to get it skimmed if you take it off yourself, take it there & collect, some will do it while you wait, maybe pay them another £20 if your not confident enough to strip the head yourself & replace the stem seal's. Maybe get them too clean it/acid dip or if there half decent will have a cleaning machine that'll clean all the carbon off quite quick, maybe cost £60 all in for it all but worth it. Get them to check the seats too, only £5 a seat to re-cut in most places so £40 max on a 8v. Put the gasket on the bottom end, then place the head on v.carefully to make sure you don't move the gasket, work yourself from the middle to the edges to tighten the bolts up(if you want the torque settings etc i'll put them on here?? Hope I'm not writing this for nothing! )

Obviously when you put the head on you'll have the cam locked in place & the crank locked at TDC, then put the new belt on,(I get the belt on first then slip the tensioner in behind & tension it up)but you can put the tensioner on first, I just prefer it that way to make sure the belt line's up 100%, i.e. doesn't move from the lines on a new belt, not that it's too important if it's locked on TDC both sides but still better to know 100%.

Tension it up, look at the original belt how slack it was, that'll give you a idea how tight the belt needs to be. Probably missed a few little things, but sure you'll work it out easily enough.

Haynes manual or online will probably have guides & all the torque setting's, but i'll post them if your going to attempt it. It's really not that hard! Especially on a puney 8v!

Last edited by chrisjp4; 16-05-2014 at 01:21 PM.
chrisjp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
runkthepunk
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
I second what Chrisjp4 says.

If you enjoy the car then fixing the head gasket is a job you can tackle yourself if you are slightly mechanically minded and can be bothered to do it.

I did my own based on having no history of a cambelt change and a garage telling me that the water out the back of my exhaust was probably a head gasket. Turns out it wasn't a head gasket failure at all but just that the old exhaust was just FULL of condensation water from lots of little slow journeys!

Good luck whatever you decide.
runkthepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Gunscrossed

User Gallery
Cheers guys, the car is now sold.
Old 22-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
richair

User Gallery
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! You'll probably regret that one, but too late now

So has it gone to someone on here?
richair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
chrisjp4

User Gallery
I recon you'll regret it, it was a lovely original example! Hard to come by nowadays & the paint was good too! Would of got you a extra grand at least if you would of fixed it.

Not the end of the day if you couldn't be arsed with it & wanted rid. Better luck with the next motor ey!!

Hopefully someone on here has bought it & will keep it in the club.
chrisjp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
richair

User Gallery
Ouch!

http://bit.ly/1k4XCyi
richair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
chatie1975

User Gallery
Spotted that earlier! I wonder if the head gasket has now been changed?
chatie1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
i will drive it one day

User Gallery
Ebay

Yes it's back on Ebay for £2500!!!!!! Not a bad profit to pick it up from Essex and take it to Lancashire all in a few day, I wonder if they have had time to change the head gasket, skim the head and rebuild it?? I've been trying to buy this Rallye for the last two times it's been up for sale but I'm not being taken for a mug at that price, I just wish it was sold to me an enthusiast not out to make a profit and to keep it. Sorry for the rant
i will drive it one day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
thetomgaming

User Gallery
The car was my dads had a hole in one of the valves so we put one of our spare heads onit, The plan was to keep the car in storage but we don't have the space for it due to having a second cherry red s1. Was a lovely little car shame we had to sell it
thetomgaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
i will drive it one day

User Gallery
Yes you must of brought N770 XRB around the same time!!
i will drive it one day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
Gunscrossed

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetomgaming View Post
The car was my dads had a hole in one of the valves so we put one of our spare heads onit, The plan was to keep the car in storage but we don't have the space for it due to having a second cherry red s1. Was a lovely little car shame we had to sell it
Thanks for a smooth deal mate.
Old 27-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #14
Rocco
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
So Thetomgaming, did it sell for £2500? thx
Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #15
thetomgaming

User Gallery