home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > South West > South West Members Cars

Old 18-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #51
bluebouy
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Ace - still not sure I would drive it though!!!

I would have no trouble convincing myself that I needed another to drive and this one to look at.

Are you planning on showing it???

The problem I found with mine was that it was rusting under the original factory applied sealer in places - to the point where I convinced myself that the shell spent the weekend in the rain before it was applied!
bluebouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #52
chatie1975

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebouy View Post
Ace - still not sure I would drive it though!!!

I would have no trouble convincing myself that I needed another to drive and this one to look at.

Are you planning on showing it???

The problem I found with mine was that it was rusting under the original factory applied sealer in places - to the point where I convinced myself that the shell spent the weekend in the rain before it was applied!
Thanks, yes the plan is to use it for a few selected shows and just enjoy driving it on a sunny weekend, but still being cautious of the miles I put on it!

I would love a second one to use and abuse, but the wife would be having words. I do fancy a 16v, throttle bodied track weapon at some point to use for sprints and hill climbs.

The factory seam sealer underbody protection really wasn't that clever, it was applied very randomly and in places to thick. Once water or corrosion gets behind it you really are in trouble!!
chatie1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #53
chatie1975

User Gallery
February 2017 - Finishing off

With the dark cold night's it was quite difficult to keep up the motivation to finish the Rallye. When I did find some enthusiasm I ticked off some of the smaller jobs.

I replaced the cracked O/S door mirror with a good used one sourced from Ebay, again a brand new one wasn't available from Peugeot.

I also purchased a new pair of standard black plastic mirror caps from Peugeot, however although it would have had the black ones from factory I am not sure it looks right? Maybe the 'B' pillar needs doing in black textured vinyl to match?

Next up was a stereo upgrade, the standard stereo looks great in the dash but not being able to play a CD or plug an Ipod / I phone in was a little frustrating on longer trips to shows.

Last edited by chatie1975; 25-02-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 21-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #54
chatie1975

User Gallery
March 2017

Has it really been over 2 months since I updated this, doesn't time fly, I have however been busy with the Rallye!

With the major engine out winter work complete I carried out the final check over before thinking about bringing the car home from work.

With the Mot due in April and slight play in the O/S beam advised on last years Mot I decided on a rear suspension overhaul first.

First job was to get the old beam off the car.

Again being a little pushed for time and not wanting to have the car in pieces for an extended time at work I decided to go for an exchange axle from IM Axles. Overall I was impressed with the service and quality of the exchange unit.

Having built the axle up the next job was getting bolted back in the car. The axle came with new mounting bushes and I fitted new wheel bearings. I will go back and refinish / powder coat the brake disc shields and overall the brakes when I have more time.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #55
chatie1975

User Gallery
April / May 2017:

With the winter work complete, a new Mot and the sunnier weather here (hopefully)! The Rallye has been out and about on the country road roads of Dorset, it's been good to have it back on the road but I cant see myself using it much. There are still a few jobs I want to do to improve it further but they can wait until the autumn.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #56
Neil18
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Really interesting thread. Thanks for posting all of those updates. Great work!

But... spoiled by:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatie1975 View Post
but I cant see myself using it much.

Use it man like Mr Pug intended! I implore you! (or sell it to me, and I will do it for you!!).
Neil18 is offline   Reply With Quote