home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > TUNING, MODIFICATIONS & UPGRADES > Interior Modifications

Interior Modifications Bucket seats, steering wheels, gear gaitors

Old 12-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Sam Walters
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Original wheel & airbag? MOT failure for no airbag...

So,

I recently took my S2 Rallye for an MOT, only for it to fail on the fact that it's missing an airbag in the aftermarket wheel I was running. Which, at the time, I had a complete 'doh' moment and wondered how I could be so stupid to not realise that'd be an issue.

However, the fact is, after a little bit of Google'ing, I found that airbags, when the S2's were released, was an optional extra, so I'm a little confused as to why it failed the MOT.

I have an original wheel, that doesn't have an airbag, so I'm a little stumped now on how the hell I'm going to get it through an MOT, if a drivers airbag is a necessary requirement. The aftermarket OMP wheel I was running didn't have a space for an airbag, so it's not like that was meant to have one and it was missing...

Anyone with previous experience, I'd appreciate a response. I can't begin to imagine the conversation I'm going to have to have with the garage, attempting to convince them that an airbag was an optional extra, although I would've thought they'd know this sort of stuff. *chuckling to myself*
Sam Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
welshpug
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
got the vin number to hand?

you can check characteristics on servicebox.

guessing there's no airbag light on all the time?
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
LeeThr

User Gallery
Could be a misconception by the garage that it's a GTi and not realized it's a Rallye. Also all the in's and out's of the specs of every single model for everything they test would be a bit hard to remember.

Maybe find a copy of the original Rallye sales brochures showing the airbag was an optional extra, as well taking a print out of the characteristics report from servicebox which would show no airbag was fitted from factory.

This is the problem with the mot test, there's no real consistency to it, it all boils down to whatever the individual testers interpretation of the guidelines are.
LeeThr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Does it have an airbag light on the dash?

If it's no longer fitted and the system doesn't indicate a fault it shouldn't be failed. There's also a provision for substantially modified cars not needing them as well.

If it's no longer fitted and the system doesn't indicate a fault it shouldn't be failed. There's also a provision for substantially modified cars not needing them as well.

Last edited by Harv; 13-05-2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
MHR1294

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post

Exactly what I was going to post yesterday, but wasn't sure how to word it without sounding like a dick
MHR1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Sam Walters

User Gallery
Hi all,

No warning light on the dash indicating no airbag present, it's a strange failure point. VIN number is VF31CNFWE52141974. What's servicebox and how do I check?

Regards.
Old 14-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
MHR1294

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Walters View Post
Hi all,

No warning light on the dash indicating no airbag present, it's a strange failure point. VIN number is VF31CNFWE52141974. What's servicebox and how do I check?

Regards.
Easier just for someone who already has access just to screenshot it

Old 14-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #8
welshpug

User Gallery
servicebox says no airbag
Old 14-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
Dieseldave

User Gallery
I was always under the impression if something (within reason) is not fitted to the car on the day of the test it
can not be failed?

EG, Your rear wiper does not work, rip the whole thing out & blank the hole.
If its not fitted, they cant test it and therefore cant fail it.

Is this not the case for stuff like rear wiper, front fog lights, airbags etc?
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #10
welshpug

User Gallery
front fogs and rear wipers are not tested at all, short of having exposed sharp edges, cannot be failed on those two items.

for airbags if present then the light has to come on then go off.

not sure what the guy used to fail this for as the light wouldnt be present.
Old 14-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #11
MHR1294

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldave View Post
I was always under the impression if something (within reason) is not fitted to the car on the day of the test it
can not be failed?

Irish MOT may be different, they have some stupid rules over there. especially when it comes to things like HID/headlight washers
Old 14-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #12
LeeThr

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldave View Post
can not be failed?

It is with somethings, e.g spare wheel if fitted and it's under 1.6mm it's a fail, take it out & it's a pass.

They changed the wording on some items such as airbags and abs, stating if it was fitted from factory it must be present & working.

Although there is a clause (for road legal track cars etc) that if it's clear the vehicle has been modified for motorsport use then it doesn't apply.

But some max power teenager who's put a ebay special wheel on and removed the airbag and done nothing else to the car would fail.

But in this case there was never an airbag there in the first place.
LeeThr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #13
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Yeah, not sure why the tester has failed it really, does the MOT computer flag whether an airbag should be present? Never had a problem with my Rallye or MX5 which are/were both bagless.
Old 18-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
Sam Walters

User Gallery
Quote:
So,

I recently took my S2 Rallye for an MOT, only for it to fail on the fact that it's missing an airbag in the aftermarket wheel I was running. Which, at the time, I had a complete 'doh' moment and wondered how I could be so stupid to not realise that'd be an issue.

However, the fact is, after a little bit of Google'ing, I found that airbags, when the S2's were released, was an optional extra, so I'm a little confused as to why it failed the MOT.

I have an original wheel, that doesn't have an airbag, so I'm a little stumped now on how the hell I'm going to get it through an MOT, if a drivers airbag is a necessary requirement. The aftermarket OMP wheel I was running didn't have a space for an airbag, so it's not like that was meant to have one and it was missing...

Anyone with previous experience, I'd appreciate a response. I can't begin to imagine the conversation I'm going to have to have with the garage, attempting to convince them that an airbag was an optional extra, although I would've thought they'd know this sort of stuff. *chuckling to myself*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Yeah, not sure why the tester has failed it really, does the MOT computer flag whether an airbag should be present? Never had a problem with my Rallye or MX5 which are/were both bagless.
Pretty strange to be honest. Tried explaining it to the fella at the garage over the phone but wasn't having any of it... I can understand a failure if a bag was fitted from the factory. Oh well, goes without saying it went to a different station and they didn't bother with the wheel. Although I did take the original with me just as a back-up.

I'd taken the spare off of the car as that was running low on tread, and that wasn't mentioned. Was aware that you could remove items that weren't fit for purpose, but weren't a failure for not having them.
Old 20-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #15
MHR1294

User Gallery
Quote:
Pretty strange to be honest. Tried explaining it to the fella at the garage over the phone but wasn't having any of it... I can understand a failure if a bag was fitted from the factory. Oh well, goes without saying it went to a different station and they didn't bother with the wheel. Although I did take the original with me just as a back-up.

I'd taken the spare off of the car as that was running low on tread, and that wasn't mentioned. Was aware that you could remove items that weren't fit for purpose, but weren't a failure for not having them.
What you should have done, is fit the standard wheel. resubmit. let him fail it THEN appeal it to VOSA.

Then he'll get his arse felt for not following all the mandatory notes and updates testers are supposed to read!
Old 25-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #16
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Did the same when I had a manky spare cage, if it's not fitted it can't be tested! MOT is only checking that what's fitted is safe to use, plus the mandatory equipment to actually get you through a journey.

Thankfully reverse lights aren't checked, I've had two cars where that's been a right ballache to sort out.