home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > Problems, Servicing & Repairs

Problems, Servicing & Repairs Information and topics about technical problems, servicing and repairs to the Rallye

Old 14-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
Sam Walters
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Whining noise when going through the gears, S2 Rallye

OK, so,

I've had the car, about 3/4 months now. I have no idea if the problem was there when I bought the car, and it just wasn't as noticeable, but I took it down to Cornwall in the summer months, and through the gears, 1st to 4th, it was fine, but in 5th, the car started to whine, and quite loud too. I didn't think too much of it at the time, there was nothing I could do there and then, and planned to have a better look when I got home. The return trip was a little smoother, without the high pitched whine that was there on the trip down. I drove it around town, to and from work for a few weeks, and didn't really encounter the problem too much at all, until Friday just gone.

I had taken a pal over to Towcester to check out a van, which is only a 25/30 mile round-trip. It wasn't until on the way back cruising down the dual-carriage way, I shifted up into 5th, and the whining appeared again.

I took it out around town yesterday (Sunday), and the whining seams to be present high in 3rd gear, and all through 4th and 5th now. I'm going to change the gearbox oil this weekend to see if that has any effect, but beyond this, I'm stumped as to what it could be.

I'd appreciate any information about the issue. Maybe someone has had the same problem, or has an idea about what it could be.

Oh, the car has had a new clutch kit (bearings inc.) about 8 weeks ago, shouldn't think it's the clutch anyway. The noise was present before the change.

Many thanks in advance,
Sam

Edit: Just went back through messages from the previous owner, who indicates that the car had a new cambelt before purchase. Could it be that the cambelt is too tight? How would I check this?

Last edited by Sam Walters; 14-11-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sam Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Hmm, does it change with the clutch in? Presumably not happening in neutral, even if holding the revs up?

Could it be a wheel bearing? I had some horrid noises from mine when they were going, not hard or expensive to change either.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
Sam Walters

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Hmm, does it change with the clutch in? Presumably not happening in neutral, even if holding the revs up?

Could it be a wheel bearing? I had some horrid noises from mine when they were going, not hard or expensive to change either.
Doesn't occur when in neutral, nor in the lower of the gears, and has only just started to happen in 3rd and 4th. Could possibly be a wheel bearing, I haven't looked into that yet, but it's another thing I can look into.
Old 15-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
SimonR
FREELOADER! 85+ posts still not joined :-(

User Gallery
My 5th gear makes a high pitched squeal. I've been told it's the input shaft bearing. Unfortunately this means stripping the entire gearbox down so I've just left mine as it is. It's gotten slightly worse over the last year (1200 miles). Your issue may be something similar?

I had a quick google and this was one of the results - http://106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/...ad.php?t=44598

or - http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=284570
SimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
Sam Walters

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonR View Post
My 5th gear makes a high pitched squeal. I've been told it's the input shaft bearing. Unfortunately this means stripping the entire gearbox down so I've just left mine as it is. It's gotten slightly worse over the last year (1200 miles). Your issue may be something similar?

I had a quick google and this was one of the results - http://106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/...ad.php?t=44598

or - http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=284570
Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

The whine mine makes in 5th is a lot more exagerated than in the other gears. I've had a few conversations with friends and mechanics over the last few weeks, most of which have suggested it could be the layshaft bearing. Inexpensive bearing, but would mean a gearbox strip down and rebuild like you say. I'll leave mine for the time being, until it really gets unbearable but thanks for the input!