home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > GENERAL TOPICS > General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics

General Car Chat - Non Rallye Topics Anything general car related in here!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Andrew-Ralston
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Strippers: Cars for cash?

Anyone watch that Strippers: cars for cash on Nat Geo?

They both had to buy typical boy racer cars which ended up being a Corsa Redtop and a Saxo VTS with massive ridiculous body kits...

My jaw hit the ground when the 16v lump went for 10!!

What's the cheapest you bought an 16v lump for? Mines was 100 thought I was doing not to bad there! lol!
Andrew-Ralston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Joe.

User Gallery Car Blog
The low silver mk1 saxo that was in the programme is a lads ok sax-p
Joe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
chrisjp4

User Gallery
I've had a full gti for 200, just had a vts for 230 with 70k. Bought a gti engine for 50 on 65k also picked up a 43k jp4 for 70! The jp4 engine was spotless! Better than any other engine i've seen with supposedly low miles!

There are plenty of bargains to be had if you look hard enough!

chris
chrisjp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
matty_d

User Gallery
Where do you guys get these from?... I could only wish to pay that for a complete car
matty_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Andrew-Ralston

User Gallery
the mk1 looked not to bad! rather low for my liking!

I picked up a rotten mk2 VTS for 200 for the engine and loom, that was 4 year ago!

Chris if you find cheap JP4's or J4.. PM me haha
Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
thododd
FREELOADER! 85+ posts still not joined :-(

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_d View Post
Where do you guys get these from?... I could only wish to pay that for a complete car
Not Bristol! I know that much

I have just paid 200 for a complete volvo 360 GLTi, its not pretty but its all there. Cheapest 16v TU engine I had cost me 70 or thereabouts (traded parts + cash for it)
thododd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
matty_d

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew-Ralston View Post
Chris if you find cheap JP4's or J4.. PM me haha
I have dibs on one of them :-)
Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
monka

User Gallery
cant beat a good old volvo 360/340, especially for some winter bashing. lol
monka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
matty_d

User Gallery
My friend has a 240 GL, it's epic! The most understeery car ever, it just wallows everywhere. The pop up seats are the best. Runs a tad rich though...
Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
chrisjp4

User Gallery
You can pick jp4 engine's up all day for 100-150 anyway. 200 for a rebuild if you do it yourself so you have a recon engine for 300-350 + matchining etc.

Your way too far from me for me to give you the head up Andrew, unless you fancy a holiday to North Wales?lol I know quite a few people in the trade so people look out for good solid cars for me. The blue vts i've just bought has to be 1 of the best bargains, it's totally solid & standard inc standard air box!

It's a lot to do with who you know, my first car was a blue saxo vtr, smashed front end that cost me 350 to fix, i was 16 at the time so i took my time & spread it out over a year. Car was perfect mechanically & also came with a full OMP welded in cage. For the grand total of 100!! Was my mates rally car until he smashed it that was the only reason i had it so cheap. I loved that car & spent a fortune on it! Got it on the road after passing my test & smashed it to bits in 3 and a half weeks!! Hammering down backroads & a 4x4 came & stopped dead in the middle of the road, i swerved & took out a BT telegraph pole! Insurance killed me on it too, was paying 2800 a year so when i canceled it it cost me a arm & a leg! BT also tried to sue me for 1500 even though it was a defective pole & the technician told me so!

sorry for going on, live & learn the hard way i have! Never go fast down backroads! The bloke in the 4x4 drove off too, didn't even look even though he'd basically forced me off the road! I think he did me a favour as i would of killed myself in that car it was way too fast for a first car! Bought a 206 gti 2 months later which lasted 2 years, had a few saxo's 106's in the mean time too.

Chris
Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
matty_d

User Gallery
Sounds like you used to be the stereotypical boy racer 106/Saxo owner
Old 12-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Andrew-Ralston

User Gallery
My mate has had his fair share of Volvo's... he managed to buy a Volvo 244 DL for 2p!!! Was a free for uplift but said to the lad can I give you 2p for it so I can say I bought a car for 2p? he said I don't see why not lol. He owned a 480 turbo too which had everything wrong with it but it was funny to even look at!

There is always a courier to send things Chris!

there was a JP4 in the scrappy which I was going to get but by the time i went back the whole car was gone!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
chrisjp4

User Gallery
If i find a cheap jp4 i'll let u know Andrew, probably 50 to post though. Anyvan.com is shit hot for courier quotes, they all compete for people doing the same journey so you can get really good deals if someone coming your way bud.

Stereotypical!!?? Don't think so somehow I've never had a stupid big boar exhaust or a stupid body kit on any of my cars!! I don't speed & blast music in residential area's or have any chav's anywhere near my car's!!

I've owned 7 saxo's now & 3 106's, 2 being Rallye's & not one of them has been chavvy looking! All be standard looking just with engine mods, maybe light exterior & interior mods. I love my pug's/ Citroens, always have! Never had any other car except a run around rover 25 1.6 16v, went quite well until someone crashed into it.

So no not stereotypical as I've always had nice cars that have never been chavved out & i don't hang around car parks doing doughnuts & wheel spins! Never had & never will! I've always hung around with the old Welsh rally boys hence the reason for always having a fun road car & a weekend toy. I've always had my cars cheap & done all the work myself so makes me more attached to them in the end so i treat them with respect.

Chris
Old 12-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Andrew-Ralston

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjp4 View Post
If i find a cheap jp4 i'll let u know Andrew, probably 50 to post though. Anyvan.com is shit hot for courier quotes, they all compete for people doing the same journey so you can get really good deals if someone coming your way bud.

Never had any other car except a run around rover 25 1.6 16v, went quite well until someone crashed into it.

Chris
Cheers for that Chris!

The lad did you a favour crashing into it!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
chrisjp4

User Gallery
I know mate i bought i for 400 as a run around as i needed something for cheap. His insurance asked me not to involve my insurance so they didn't know nothing so nothing on my side & they paid me 950 within a week & give me a brand spanking me 1.2 corsa with 600 miles for 3 weeks!

I also put 1500 miles on it in 3 weeks so i bet they got changed like hell! I'll PM you if i find anything for you bud.

chris
Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
matty_d

User Gallery
Haha class!

(wasn't having a pop fella btw )