home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > FOR SALE & WANTED > Parts Wanted

Parts Wanted Post here if you need a part!

Old 15-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
spdpug98
SOON TO BE FREELOADER - PLEASE JOIN UP NOW!

User Gallery
Wanted 106 GTI Shell

After my MOT yesterday its obvious without a massive load of additional welding my 106 wont get through an MOT next year. So Im looking for a decent shell to reshell my car into at the end of the season

Im after either caged or non caged shell with not loads of welding required, I expect a bit but not another shell I need to get welded up every year to keep it going

Does anyone know if the quicksilver shell could be used to reshell a GTI into
spdpug98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
MHR1294
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdpug98 View Post
After my MOT yesterday its obvious without a massive load of additional welding my 106 wont get through an MOT next year. So Im looking for a decent shell to reshell my car into at the end of the season

Im after either caged or non caged shell with not loads of welding required, I expect a bit but not another shell I need to get welded up every year to keep it going

Does anyone know if the quicksilver shell could be used to reshell a GTI into
You'll need a "sport" shell. the 1.4 quikky has a different engine upper mount.

Any shell that takes a cast block as standard will have the same shell. 1.5D, VTR, XS, GTi etc

Personally I'd go for a 1.5D shell, and drill the body kit holes in the sills yourself, that way you can treat the holes properly so it won't rust from the inside out.
MHR1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
spdpug98

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHR1294 View Post
You'll need a "sport" shell. the 1.4 quikky has a different engine upper mount.

Any shell that takes a cast block as standard will have the same shell. 1.5D, VTR, XS, GTi etc

Personally I'd go for a 1.5D shell, and drill the body kit holes in the sills yourself, that way you can treat the holes properly so it won't rust from the inside out.
That's great advice thanks, if I was to get a 1.5D could I swap all my bits over onto it - I guess the only element it mightn't have would be the front anti roll bar?

Just found a 33,000 miles immaculate example up in Carlisle, would be a shame to rip something like that apart but if a decent shell could last me some years :-)
Old 16-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
karl.mh
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Just had a quick look at the advert on ebay, looks like the ideal donor car.....it really does look like new.

Good shells are like hen's teeth these days!! but back in 2001 i purchased a new Gti (non sunroof) shell from Peugeot for 780 delivered, its been dry stored every since. i'm slowly installing a Custom Cages weld in multipoint T45 cage but not sure yet what the final car (spec wise) will look like, currently building a road going track / sprint 106 Gti so hopefully finish it this year.

Get your skates on and buy the 33,000 mile bargain

Last edited by karl.mh; 16-04-2018 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
karl.mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
spdpug98

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl.mh View Post
Just had a quick look at the advert on ebay, looks like the ideal donor car.....it really does look like new.

Good shells are like hen's teeth these days!! but back in 2001 i purchased a new Gti (non sunroof) shell from Peugeot for 780 delivered, its been dry stored every since. i'm slowly installing a Custom Cages weld in multipoint T45 cage but not sure yet what the final car (spec wise) will look like, currently building a road going track / sprint 106 Gti so hopefully finish it this year.

Get your skates on and buy the 33,000 mile bargain
If they had shells now theyd be selling them like hot cakes!!
Old 17-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
MHR1294

User Gallery
Yes, but the mounts on the body are there for the sport style ARB

So yes all the suspension will swap over correctly.

That was going to be the original plan for my 1.5d - but I'm now driving it daily hahaha! it's saving me so much money.
Old 17-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
spdpug98

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHR1294 View Post
Yes, but the mounts on the body are there for the sport style ARB

So yes all the suspension will swap over correctly.

That was going to be the original plan for my 1.5d - but I'm now driving it daily hahaha! it's saving me so much money.
Hahahaha!!!! Is there any issue with the rear arches putting the bigger wheels on and swapping the beam over - looks like a late 106 will be turning into a GTI, need to find an old dear on the south coast whos selling a late low mileage base car
Old 18-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
MHR1294

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdpug98 View Post
Hahahaha!!!! Is there any issue with the rear arches putting the bigger wheels on and swapping the beam over - looks like a late 106 will be turning into a GTI, need to find an old dear on the south coast whos selling a late low mileage base car
No issues with clearance using the standard GTi stuff. You just need to trim a bit off the quarter to fit the bodykit. it's only single skin there anyway.