home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > East Midlands > East Midlands Members Cars

Old 24-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
zebedee
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
My Blaze GTI

Last year i was looking for a car to fiddle with as when i brought our Astra T9 it was already tuned by DAP i promised i wouldn't fiddle with that i found this 106 gti lurking in a shed at a farm i was working at.

When i got it had no mot or tax, no headunit, dodgy amp with even worse wiring, dirty K&N filter and a scorpion exhuast oh and some loverly chav lights on the back!

First job was a good check over and service then i went down the breakers and got some standard rear lights and a few other bits of trim that were missing. As it needed 3 new tyres for them mot it was a good excuse for some differnt alloys so got some 1.9 205 GTI alloys off ebay:

It then went for MOT and passed straight through so now i could start changing a few bits
I brought a set of samco hoses, CDA air filter and an alloy rad as the old one was loking more that suspect these were all fitted over a weekend.

Next i thought it was time to sort out the suspension and brakes. I spotted these on ebay:

I brought a full set of polly bushes, new ball joints, new drop links, omp upper and lower braces and new rear discs and pads. When i was last at the breakers i noticed they had just got a GTI-6 in so i asked how much for the front calipers, discs and master cylinder 100 was the reply so we went back in quick as the discs and pads were nealy new!
Once all that little lots was fitted using the workshop at my work i was pretty happy the torsion bar was a bugger to get to bits but we got there! The only outstanding bits to do on that side is to fit the braided hoses and the polly rear beam mounts.

I was never totally happy with the wheels and when these 16" comp 2's came up for sale at the right money i was very pleased:

As you might be able to tell i spend too much time on ebay i spotted a pair of cobra sidewinders that were brand new and ended at an odd time of day 3 o'clock in the afternoon on a week day and got them for 122! I then managed to get myself some frames and after a very good deal from demon tweeks an OMP rear cage and some of there 4 point 3" harneses.

At about the same time a guy near me gave up on his 106 rally car proiect i went round to buy the sparco steering wheel he had for sale after a few more visits i ended up buying another engine which was fitted with cup car cams and ecu head work and a fuel reg all set up and a helix paddle clutch!

Mid engine swap:

While the engine was out i sourced at S1 rallye box which was fitted at the same time

I wanted to tie the red and black seats in so i brought some S1 rallye door cards and carpet from Nick:

I had to paint the the back of the doors as they were never painted from the factory same with the rear of the car.

Added a few more finishing touches in the last few weeks.
Smooth rear wiper and SP badge for that back:

Spec-r cover in the bay:

New euro style plates all round:

Also went down my favourite breakers and got a spare 15" steel wheel and tyre painted it white and some red rim tape. This was so i had a spare that would fit over my front brakes
All fitted into the boot floor:

Jobs to to
I'm not happy with the fit of the cage it's leaning too far forward so i think i'm going to have to cut a small amount out the rear legs. Fit the braided lines and rear polly bushes.

Simon
zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Nick_Christy

User Gallery
that looks great, i really like it, but a word of warning you should never have bash on weights opposite each other

what you doing with the old 205 rims??

Last edited by Nick_Christy; 24-01-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Nick_Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
zebedee

User Gallery
Thanks Nick i sold the 205 rims a while back to fund the speedlines thats on it now
Old 24-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
7unner172
NORTH EAST REGIONAL LEADER

User Gallery
very very smart looking car mate

what cage is that?as iam looking for a rear cage for my car if you dont mind me asking lol

"If in doubt,flat out."
7unner172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
zebedee

User Gallery
It's the OMP one.
The harness bar i made myself
Old 24-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
7unner172
NORTH EAST REGIONAL LEADER

User Gallery
you no the model mate?

"If in doubt,flat out."
7unner172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
dynofiend
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery Car Blog
Great project so far mate

A word of warning though, your harness bar looks woefully inadequate. Any sort of crash and itll just bend, or worse, pull out entirely. Not safe

Not a fan of the engine bling either, but thats just me

Last edited by dynofiend; 25-01-2009 at 04:24 AM.
dynofiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
zebedee

User Gallery
The bar is solid with 10mm threads tapped in either end one left and one right the eyes are good quality and the brackets are 4mm plate. It's mounted to the rear seat belt mounting points so i thought they would be up to the job.
Old 28-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
dynofiend

User Gallery Car Blog
Nah, it might feel solid enough, but imagine you tied a 90ft rope to it, and then tied the other end to yourself and a mate, and then you both jumped off a 100ft bridge. It needs to be able to support that kind of load.

It might pass an MOT like that, but it would instantly fail any basic motorsport scrutineering.

Im not trying to take the mickey or anything like that, but it definately needs rethinking. Either use a proper welded on harness bar (part of the cage) or use eyelets and the correct harness buckles in the original seat belt mounting holes under the rear seats.
Old 28-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
dunc
Mike's Mechanic

User Gallery Car Blog
Another thing on the harness bar is the angle the harnesses are coming down means they will not do much if it were to roll, compared to if they were mounted to the floor. Also if the rear were to collapse in you'll loose the tension in the harnesses.

I don't meant sound like a twat just trying to rip into your car just advise for safety

been there, done that... got trailered home!
dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
zebedee

User Gallery
Thats cool guys i looked at using the original bolt holes for the harnesses but i thought i read that you shouldn'd have the harnesses at too steep an angle from the seats ay it looked quite steep using them.
Old 30-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
dynofiend

User Gallery Car Blog
You are right, you shouldnt have the seat belts at too steep an angle, but using the original holes is still within acceptable limits.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
zebedee

User Gallery
Small update with some progress

As some of you may know Magnex has gone bust, well Bob from roadrunner in Nottingham brought all the old stock from the supplier. I managed to get one of the last brand new magnex exhausts from him for a very very good price. I already have a cat pipe with a sports cat in it but i never really like the fit of the old exhaust and how it was cut into the rear bumper. I must say the fit and finish of the exhaust is second to none. I've also changed the rear bumper to one without a cut out in it.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #14
dynofiend

User Gallery Car Blog
Looks great! Magnex always sound good too, not too loud.
Old 18-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Vilagen
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
very nice
Vilagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
curl666
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery Car Blog
Hadn't seen this blog before, some lovely mods since you have owned it!
curl666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #17
zebedee

User Gallery
Did something silly the other day
Went down the road with the locking wheel bolt key still in the wheel knew what it was as soon as i heard it rattle under the car

This made my mind up for me that it was time for a stud conversion so ordered the bits from rally design:

Also i got some new lights the other day