home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > East Midlands > East Midlands Members Cars

Old 16-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Harv's 2nd Indigo S2

I figured I better put a thread together now I've actually started working on the damn thing!

So... Shortly after I moved house at the end of Oct I found a nice-looking Indigo S2 which needed a fair bit of tlc underneath, but most importantly had near-mint paintwork. (I'm rubbish at paint)

After a bit of complication I managed to get it delivered from Jamie (a.k.a Gozzer) down in Bristol via Shiply.

Anyway, this is how it looked before I tucked it up into the garage while I got busy doing all that boring shit. (Decorating, unpacking, putting shelves up and generally being a domestic God)

It came with a great big boot full of parts, including a replacement rear beam. The interior in the rear is completely stripped, although the seats and bags of bits were all included.

It's a pretty standard 8v, original box according to the code, 4-2-1 mani and a 2" Pugsport. The plan at the moment is a strip down, weld up the rusty bits, refresh the suspension and enjoy.

Spec will end up being pretty close to my last one, although I'm undecided on the engine yet. But a satchshift is definitely on the cards along with polybushes, mild lowering, the usual!

So this weekend I set to stripping down the front end to make a start on the rust etc. After a few hours of tinkering and cups of tea the front wings, suspension and front-end bits are all out of the way.

Next job is the engine and box coming out, and a good rifle through the wiring loom to strip out an old alarm/immobiliser that's been wired in. Hopefully it won't be too hard to chase out... (Famous last words!)

Once the struts and wings were out of the way the truth of the rust started to come, and it's not pretty. The gussets next to the front jacking points have both gone rotten, in the past the driver's side has been plated over and looks alright, but the passenger side is pretty manky.

Just like my last Rallye it looks like the rot around there started from knackered ARB bushes letting the ARB rub through the underseal on the bottom of the chassis leg.

It's also got some very typical rot where the bumper mounts are, this has caused a bit of rot next to the fuse box under the passenger wing.

It's a bit hard to see, but the worst sin in here on the driver's side is on the wing where the rubber bung usually is. It's very rotten down there from around the bung hole right the way down to the seam, and about 20cm wide!

Last edited by Harv; 16-02-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
chrisjp4
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery
Bloody hell Harv you'll have your work cut out with this!! What's the plans, will you 16v it or stay with the 8v?

Good luck with it either way!!

Chris.
chrisjp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 01:35 AM   #3
Pugdjw
SOON TO BE FREELOADER - PLEASE JOIN UP NOW!

User Gallery
Good luck with this mate iv just striped an aftermarket imobiliser and alarm out of an s1 iv just bought take your time with it and you'll be fine
Pugdjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Bit of work to do but it'll soon be a good 'un

Great to see you back in a Rallye
Old 17-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjp4 View Post
Bloody hell Harv you'll have your work cut out with this!! What's the plans, will you 16v it or stay with the 8v?
I know! There's a bit more rust down there than I was expecting, but because it's in the garage I can pick and choose when to do anything with it, the last one was my daily driver which made things a bit trickier.

I'm determined to keep the 8v, but I'll probably end up looking at cams etc soon to give it a bit more pep.
Old 17-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
chrisjp4

User Gallery
I know in the top pic's you wouldn't of thought it'd be that bad........i'm sure you'll get it back in shape soon enough. Not to keen on the wheel color choice but that can be changed easily enough.

How much mileage is on the 8v? I'm sure it'll be fine with a freshen up mind all my iron block 8v's have been pretty much indestructible! A cam in there will deffinatly help & least you have a manifold etc to start with. Looks very clean on the outside so that's a plus point, just keep telling yourself that when the welding/sanding gets on top of you!

Would be even better with a nice set of bodies but i bet that's the last thing on your mind seeing as you've just moved into a new house!lol

Chris.
chrisjp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
matty_d

User Gallery
I went to view this a while ago as it was only 15 minutes away. Was very tempted as the bodywork/paint was brilliant and the 8v was sounding very healthy. Also had some AD08s with reasonable tread. I walked away though after spending a good while rust hunting, and finding what you've highlighted above. It was just too much for me to consider.

Great to see it being saved though, I wish you all the best with it. The chap also had a pretty cool Bianca S1 as well, I tried to buy that instead
matty_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
P3TTPuG

User Gallery
What's the mileage Harv? Just had to my jacking point guessets horrible welding upside down .. Are you going to get a spit made for it?
P3TTPuG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjp4 View Post
I know in the top pic's you wouldn't of thought it'd be that bad........i'm sure you'll get it back in shape soon enough. Not to keen on the wheel color choice but that can be changed easily enough.

How much mileage is on the 8v? I'm sure it'll be fine with a freshen up mind all my iron block 8v's have been pretty much indestructible! A cam in there will deffinatly help & least you have a manifold etc to start with. Looks very clean on the outside so that's a plus point, just keep telling yourself that when the welding/sanding gets on top of you!

Would be even better with a nice set of bodies but i bet that's the last thing on your mind seeing as you've just moved into a new house!lol

Chris.
The wheels are an acquired taste, although I quite like them with the matching strut brace. They're not a million miles from the TD 1.2's I had on the last car in white. I think I'll be going back to steelies though!

As above, it's a project I can take my time with and just walk away and do something else when I've had enough, and I can't afford to think about bodies etc just yet. The 8v seems nice and healthy though, just a bit of an oil leak externally. It'll be getting a rebuild anyway with head gasket, stem seals and maybe rings depending on their condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_d View Post
I went to view this a while ago as it was only 15 minutes away. Was very tempted as the bodywork/paint was brilliant and the 8v was sounding very healthy. Also had some AD08s with reasonable tread. I walked away though after spending a good while rust hunting, and finding what you've highlighted above. It was just too much for me to consider.

Great to see it being saved though, I wish you all the best with it. The chap also had a pretty cool Bianca S1 as well, I tried to buy that instead
That S1 looked really nice, think he's keeping that forever though! Jamie was great throughout and he was totally clear that it needed quite a lot of welding and tlc to get it back roadworthy again, so a few pics and I just thought fuck it and went for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3TTPuG View Post
What's the mileage Harv? Just had to my jacking point guessets horrible welding upside down .. Are you going to get a spit made for it?
No room for a spit in my garage unfortunately, much as I'd love one, so it's upside down welding for me...

Mileage is about 110k iirc, but there'll be so many new parts once it's back together the clocks are the only bit where that'll be true!
Old 17-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #10
P3TTPuG

User Gallery
Get ready for the hot rocks how you getting it up in the air ...trolley jacks?
Old 17-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Yep, although I have an engine crane too so I should be able to get some high-lift axle stands and take it a bit further up yet. It's a bit tight as it is at the moment.
Old 17-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #12
P3TTPuG

User Gallery
I wish you all the best I hated doing and I had a ramp hehe. I couldn't get the driver side floor replacement gusset for love nor money so had to fab them up I had managed to get passengers side ,but didn't want them to look odd under the car. Guna be watching this thread from start to finish so I'll grab some pop corn .
Old 17-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #13
LukeS1Stoke
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery
Nice looking Rallye Harv, to be honest i think that amount of rust comes standard on most S2 rallyes. its like winding the clock back 2 years for me when i started to strip mine down! I reckon mine was worse tho lol.

Just start on one area at a time mate then get it to primer then move on to the next, that way you can see that all the effort is worth it and it doesnt seem like a massive job.
LukeS1Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #14
martin510
REGISTERED FORUM USER - NON MEMBER

User Gallery
Fair play mate, I went to look at this back in September last year. I was of the same opinion as matty_d, too much rust for my liking! Good progress though.
martin510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Cheers for the comments guys, I'm really quite excited to get my teeth sunk into the rusty bits, I've not really had much to do with my welder so far in its life.

I'm gonna take it nice and easy with this one, I think I'll start with the fuse box area as it's nice and straight-forward to get to, then work down to the gussets last of all!

The boot is looking a bit rusty too, but I'm starting with the front first, I'll get to a rear-end rebuild once the front's done as the beam needs replacing anyway.
Old 18-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
matt_w

User Gallery
Good work Harv, great to see this being saved. Please keep this updated as I'm in pretty much exactly the same situation, just starting to take mine apart to fix up the rust in all the same places!
matt_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #17
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Mein gott, an update! Can't believe it's been 7 months since I updated this, lazy me...

So, took the engine and box out, then got busy with Mr Wire Brush to reveal how much work I had ahead of me:

Oh dear...

Also looking fairly grim from the other side too:

At this point I was a bit demoralised, as I wasn't expecting quite so much to have spread around the engine mount etc, and the leg is going to need a fair amount of work as well, bugger! I also ended up distracted with real life at this point, damn families getting in the way. That, and other cars to sort out when I did have weekends free meant that I haven't spent any time on this since April really.

Anyway, this weekend I had a rush of blood and decided to crack on, it'll never be finished if I just dump it in my garage after all.

So, given the bits that have rotted I'd decided that the engine mount and inner wing would both have to come out to be able to repair the chassis leg. So the usual pilot hole, spot weld bit, split and move on.

Lots of spot welds, swearing and prying later we have a bit of progress:

So now that the inner wing's gone that whole corner was feeling a lot more wobbly than before. I'm going to have to take the chassis leg apart in one or two bits for patching (most of it is absolutely solid), and don't want it to sag in the mean time, so I knocked up a bit of bracing to keep the leg spaced out. It's just two bits of old garden gate welded at right-angles and bolted to the strut top and the spot where the slam panel attaches, and it's now solid again, I don't plan on removing the cross member just yet.

First patch on the chassis is where it'd rotted inside the wheel arch, about a 6" length needed rid of. Measure:

Cardboard first:

Then into 1.6mm sheet to match the existing, excuse the rust as it'd been sitting in my shed over last winter.

And a gap cut out ready for welding some time this week:

Plan is to buy a complete replacement for the inner wing as I decided the rotted section was too much effort to fabricate (the rotted section was a shapely curve which the engine mount needs to fit to, it was also crusty at the bumper mount as well.

Once I've got the chassis solid at the front I reckon I'm going to put it on a shell spit for the rest of the metalwork, as one of the rear jacking points has crumbled away last week which is rather worrying! It also needs the boot floor looking after as well.

Last edited by Harv; 04-10-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #18
matt_w

User Gallery
Wow you've got your work cut out there! Good to see some progress is being made on this, it's amazing how much the rust spreads are you just buying a replacement wing or will you be buying the other parts too? I couldn't find the part which closes the top of the chassis rail so had to fab that myself, but the other parts were still available through the stealers.
matt_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #19
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Just the wing at the moment, the rest of the bits which need replacing either can't be seen or are straight-forward patches. The passenger side of the inner wing looks a bit messy in about the same spot, but not needing to put an engine mount back on it means I can fab that by hand and not worry if it isn't the perfect radius.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #20
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Bought a welder then?
Old 05-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #21
MattXT92

User Gallery Car Blog
Well that's a familiar sight Glad to see another one getting a bit of love, it'll be worth it in the end! Once youve got some strength back in the rail, bolt the slam panel up to keep the front end all in line Im am genuinely shocked how much worse S2s seem to be in the rust stakes though, a good dose of seam sealer once its done should help out though - best of luck with it!
Old 05-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #22
Harv
Slower Than Mike

User Gallery Car Blog
Cheers for the tip there matt, I think I'll probably just bolt it up with some sizeable box section instead, at this point I'm considering building a shell spit anyway to help with the boot floor etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris B View Post
Bought a welder then?
Got myself a nifty Supermig 150 a couple of years ago when the floor needed sorting on the last one, love it! Not as cool as your Portamig, but the nice low 30A minimum setting is great for thin french tin.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #23
LukeS1Stoke

User Gallery
Bloody hell Harv thats exactly the same as mine, they are always worse than they look!! Stick at it be worth it in the end mate.
LukeS1Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #24
Dieseldave

User Gallery
Best of luck with it Harv, save another one
Dieseldave is offline   Reply With Quote