home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > South West > South West Members Cars

Old 23-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
James106xsi
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery Car Blog
Arrow James106xsi - XSi 1.6 8v

I thought I'd finally get round to doing a blog after 2 and a half years of ownership! Feel free to post comments etc. as it unfolds

Now seems a good time to start one as I've recently finished my degree and intend to do what I like for the next few years before I get a 'proper job'. Meaning that over the next few months progress will be fairly substantial and hopefully quite fast!

First things first, a fly through of whats been done to my car over the past 2 years or so (I can't belive its been that long!)....

After writing off my first XSi, a diablo red one, after about a year of owning it, I was determined to get another one and following a couple of months searching most of the south of england I found this one literally 5 miles down the road from me! For that fact alone I knew I was meant to have it

Local car, two owners from new, 68k and had been fanatacially maintained by guy I bought it from. Looking at it now it almost seems a shame to have been modified!

It stayed like this for about a day as I had already bought the Speedline Chronos it still wears today. After a month or so of being like this me and Atters lowered the front using just some Eibach springs which gave it a nice 40mm or so drop and I cleaned the arches out

I then stripped the rear before having the back lowered. This made sense as if it had been stripped afterwards the back would have risen a little. I also fitted some Sabelt 4 point harnesses but I left the front carpet etc. in at this point.

After a week or two of the springs settling I went up to Sandy Brown HQ for the rear to be lowered and we got the ride height pretty spot on!

Around this time I also added a 300mm OMP 'Trecento' suede wheel, OMP knob, a TAZ quickshift and some S1 Rallye door cards.

It remained at this stage for quite a while as I was only home for short periods of time during uni holidays. And by this time I had added a Pugsport and a Supersprint 421.

After a while I decided to add an S1 Rallye inlet along with a BMC CDA. I managed to fit all by myself and for someone who had limited knowledge on engines I was quite impressed and learned a lot!

Although I could only get it it to idle at 2k I was happy and it reamined like this for about 5 months or so until it was due for an MOT. This meant removing the inlet as I couldn't find anywhere that'd pass me!

Since then the engine has remained the same and pretty standard except for the Pugsport and Supersprint as once I had passed the MOT I couldn't be bothered to fiddle with the S1 inlet again and so added a BMC filter element and drilled the standard air box. Heres how it was after the MOT and still pretty much how it looks today.

A little while later I added a Nissens ally radiator as the original one was pretty shot!

Last edited by James106xsi; 23-07-2007 at 07:18 PM.
James106xsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Again, not much progress occured as I think I went back to uni but when I returned I had a full on gutting sesh...

I also replaced the Rallye items for some carbon composite door cards and sprayed the tops of the doors blue too.

And added an OMP wishbone brace

I loved it with all the carpet and soundproofing out ( I still do!) but it looked a little tatty so after a few weeks I motivated myself to spray the whole inside which was quite a big job, which I'd hate to do again, but its pretty worthwhile! Around this time I fitted some lumentition HT leats and some Bosch Super 4 plugs too.

I briefly had some Rallye steelies but after finding out that they were S1 wheels I sold them on for what I paid for them. Shame, as they looked pretty rad

A pic from a Rally day at Combe last year

And some from Haynes last year too, where strangely enough it was overheating so track time was limited.

The last piece of work was when I came back from uni this year to find that the rear drums had siezed, so I replaced the shoes for some Ferodo ones along with new drums (which stayed shiney for about a week before they rusted so they're now black!) and new wheel bearings.

Phew! So I think that documents pretty much everything thats happened although I'm sure a few things have been missed

Anyway, onwards and upwards over the next few months!
Old 23-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Just some fairly recent pics of how she looks.

Also I had an MOT not long ago. Issues this time were the Pugsport as I didnt have the standard exhaust. So I borrowed a standard one from Dave C, cheers mate! which sorted that. Whilst the pugsport was off I sprayed it up with some high temp paint, heat wrapped it then sprayed the remaining paint over that for added durability. If nothing else, it looks cool when working under the car!

However the garage found one of the rear wheel brake cycliners to be leaking (which I hadn't noticed when changing the drums over only a few weeks before-hand). Simple enough job but they managed to cross thread the stub axel (but said that it was already cross threaded before they touched it ) and so it needed a new trailing arm, thankfully they only charged me the labour for fitting the brake cylinder and not for the removal and fitting of the new arm and the re-loweing of the beam!

Ideal I thought, however I've recenty noticed that the side they worked on (passenger side) at the rear, sits about 5 or so mm higher than the driver's side which I dont think they touched which leads me to believe they've just re-lowered the side they worked on by putting it down a spline and not the way me and Sandy did it, hence the slight slant it now has

Although its not really noticable, its there, and I'm sure its noticable when driving. But with some billies and new bushes soon to be fitted it will get re-set and sorted.

Last edited by James106xsi; 23-07-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 23-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Today's progress!

After finally getting a day off, I swear I'm always working I got round to fitting my S1 Rallye spotlight grilles which I recieved through the post the other day, thanks to Mike aka TeamGeen.

They're pretty mint and after a trial fit I decided to leave them in their original black colour. I was gonna go for anthracite but I think they look pretty spot on as they are, and it saves me time/money having to spray them now!

Fitting was pretty straight forward once I'd found out a methodical way to do it. Notice also the new front incators I got off ebay. After seeing the difference they made to Bonnie's old Rallye I thought I'd change mine, easy job, but makes a huge improvement.

I also went over to Rallynuts this afternoon (www.rallynuts.com) nice easy going guys there, (loads of OMP gear etc.). I bought a pair of OMP subframes which seem pretty popular on here, as I remember seeing them in rallye_matt's Saxo and are similar to other peoples own designs like Dyno, Freedo etc.

And I bought some steel Sabelt side mounts whilst I was there too Just need the friggin seats now!

Old 23-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Ross Davis
EXPIRED MEMBER :-(

User Gallery
looks great james, one of my top two xsi's onthe forum. the other would be mark P old TB beast lol.
keep up the good work mate
Ross Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
Joehow12

User Gallery
looks top mate, i now own marks bodied xsi itd be nice to meet you at a show at some point as im hoping to get the outside of my newley aquired beast to the standard of yours.
Old 24-07-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
Dave_C

User Gallery Car Blog
I have those indicators! I made a best offer of 7 and he accepted muahaha.

Glad you've finally got some vents, they look so much better than fogs.

Cars looking good as usual!
Dave_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 06:58 AM   #8
sandy309
106 RALLYE REGISTER ENGINE TECHNICAL ADVISOR

User Gallery
Looking good James!
Old 24-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
Lewis

User Gallery
This is one mint XSI mate
Old 25-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #10
Miles D

User Gallery
looking mint as always james, i like your xsi

how much where those subframes mate? are they heavy lol
Miles D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #11
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
cheers boys

Dave, I paid about 30quid for my indicators! And yeah the vents look loads better than spot lights or nothing at all, although none of my friends seem to agree, 'gash' was the term used lol.

Miles, they were 31.60 each plus VAT. They also have Sparco ones there but they were quite a bit heavier. These seem quite light for what they are, I'm very happy with them, although I guess ally would be lighter but not as strong?
Old 25-07-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
Dave_C

User Gallery Car Blog
Haha you got pwned, they look exactly the same as mine!

My girlfriend said the same about my vents to, so I called her names until she left me alone.
Old 25-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #13
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
New bits arrived today

Brand new GTi 180 calipers, discs, pads and fixings. I have the weekend off to fit them, I'm just hoping that my braided lines turn up in time!

My Sprintlines came also, my bedroom is gradully filling up with things lol, theres not much room to store the seats when they arrive!
Old 25-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
sandy309

User Gallery
Might pop down with my bleeder if I'm out and about.
Old 25-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #15
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Yeah that'd be ace providing the brake lines arrive! Even if they don't turn up gimme a buzz if you do head over my way
Old 26-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #16
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Seats arrived today, wasn't expecting them so quickly as I hadn't had any email from the company saying that they'd been despatched! I'm not complaining though
Old 26-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #17
sandy309

User Gallery
Goodo, your arse really will be on the floor now!
Old 26-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Ha ha!

Forgot to mention they're Corbeau Sprints, like yours Sandy, but the fatboy version
Old 26-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #19
sandy309

User Gallery
Naturally! I loved my Sprint, sold it
Old 27-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #20
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Recived my Polyrace front wishbone and rear beam bushes from Rally Design today. Amazed at the speed at which they came as I ordered them at 20.15 on wednesday and they arrived this morning!

I'll be fitting my seats tomorrow so pics of them will follow
Old 29-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #21
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Fitted drivers seat today. Could only do the one as Rallye Nuts still don't have another Sabelt sidemount in stock even though they said delivery usually comes on Saturdays. Next day off is Thursday so hopefully they'll have them in by then and I'll be able to fit the passenger seat!

Fitting was pretty straight forward, remove old seat, bolt in OMP frame and offer the seat up. I had to drill two holes in the OMP frame as the existing ones didn't quite line up with the two front holes on the side mounts but once they were marked and drilled it was bolted in.

I fiddled a bit with the adjustment on the sidemounts as it was titled back a bit to begin with, but now its pretty perfect and a shade lower than standard as I can now see the fuel guage without having to look under the wheel rim, which is nice, and should mean I won't run out of petrol again!

Out on the road the difference is immediate, you feel so much more of the surface and get a better idea of whats going on, I wasn't expecting such a noticable difference there really! But the seat is great, fits me perfectly, looks sweet and really hugs in the corners. With the new dampers on it really will be quite 'uncomfortable'

That is all

Last edited by James106xsi; 29-07-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 29-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #22
Dave_C

User Gallery Car Blog
Have you had a ride in a 106 with billys james?

You shoulda came out in mine, the ride can actually damage you! Glad I'm keeping my comfy velour seats
Old 29-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #23
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Yes Dave, a GTi, and it was using the same Eibachs as mine too, loved it and it wasn't tooo hard for the road either

But the velour seats will live on, as if my bro gets a quiky they'll be going in that as they have more bolster!
Old 29-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #24
Dave_C

User Gallery Car Blog
I duno what billys I have, I'm running GMC springs though. Every bump I hit i fear for my cars well being. I actually say "ouch" on my cars behalf.

I'll have to come out in yours when you get them fitted. I'll see if im just being a pussy or not.
Old 29-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #25
vossy

User Gallery
wow, lots of progress since i last looked!

brakes and seats look real good

you will love the new suspension too! i think your getting the same set-up as mine, which i find perfectly acceptable everyday.
vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #26
sandy309

User Gallery
It's possibly your springs Dave, I don't think I've ever found the 106 Billies harsh.
Old 30-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #27
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Dave, maybe you have the tarmac spec ones? They're pretty damn hard from what I've read and need firm springs to match!
Old 30-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #28
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by vossy View Post
wow, lots of progress since i last looked!

brakes and seats look real good

you will love the new suspension too! i think your getting the same set-up as mine, which i find perfectly acceptable everyday.
Cheers Leo, yeah we have the same Eibachs and soon the same dampers , good to hear its fine for everyday use!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #29
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Fitted the passenger seat now, also whilst collecting the other side mount from rally nuts I bought set of Powerflex front ARB bushes for a 22mm bar

Also, I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks to the Malidives on monday so there won't be anything to report till after then, hopefully the brakes will be fitted fairly swiftly after I get back.
Old 22-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #30
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
I'm back! The maldives was amazing, true paradise and I was pretty gutted to leave, even more gutted when I realised I'm back to work (and reality) tomorrow!

Anyway, I've been busy this arvo and I've gone a bit bling and ordered a new headunit to go with my new ipod video I bought in duty free (I dropped and broke my nano whilst on holiday!) Pretty cheap (65 notes) and hopefully cheerful and it has an aux input too so no more using dodgy iTrips!

I've also bought a set of the solid ally front wishbone rear mounts from the second of the group buys, David said they'll take a few weeks or so to come through.

And after putting up a wanted post on the DTA users forum just before leaving for the Maldives I got an email from someone this week offering me their used E48 with the latest firmware for 350.00, which seems a good price and should be fine to use? (with your blessing Sandy )

Last edited by James106xsi; 22-08-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 22-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #31
sandy309

User Gallery
That's a blinding price, I find ketchup is good on an arm.
Old 28-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #32
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Day off work today so gave the car a quick but needed clean this arvo as the inside was covered in pasty crumbs

Pretty happy with how the interior looks now so won't need any more spending on, and after a few weeks with the seats I just love them!

Also, earlier on today I popped to Richards Bros. to get a quote on fitting my suspension parts, just OOI really.

The list is:

Bilstein Sprintlines front and rear
ARBs front and rear
Front ARB bushes
Front wishbone middle bushes
Rear beam bushes
Adjust the torsion bars so the rear sits level again

And I was quoted 10.5 hours @ £45/hour, plus VAT....do the math!

After I regained consciousness, on the way home I found a great stretch of B road, between Mount Ambrose and Porthtowan, which I ended up going up and down about 3 times!

And all being well, on Friday I'll be visiting Sandy so we can fit my front brakes and lines

Thats all folks

Last edited by James106xsi; 28-08-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 28-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #33
sandy309

User Gallery
Blimey, i'll have to review my pricing!
Old 28-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #34
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Lol, not too much though! I can't afford what Richrds Bros were quoting

And am I still applicable for RR discount, mates rates and locals discount?

Last edited by James106xsi; 28-08-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 29-08-2007, 12:54 AM   #35
Dave_C

User Gallery Car Blog
Are they in camborne? I was thinking about going to them for an RR session but if their RR prices are anything like their labour charges I think I'll go elsewhere!
Old 29-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #36
sandy309

User Gallery
LoL, you don't ask much James!

Dave, if you came up to SRD (Launceston), i've got lots of TU results from there rollers you can compare with. Their rollers are basic, but calibrated often and relative results are what it's all about really. No loud exhausts though!
Old 29-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #37
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Yes Dave, and according to thier site its

Power Run £47 inc vat.
Diagnostics, Tuning & Remapping £82.25 per hour inc vat.

I'd head on up to SRD
Old 29-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #38
Dave_C

User Gallery Car Blog
But I have a Pugsport... and SS manifold Will it be to loud Sandy?
Old 30-08-2007, 06:42 AM   #39
sandy309

User Gallery
Pugsport's ok. It's big bore rude boy exhausts that are the problem.
Old 30-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #40
Dave_C

User Gallery Car Blog
I could be making a trip up there soon then! However I'll need directions.

Do you work there Sandy?

EDIT: Sorry James, totally forgot this is your blog!

You can come up to SRD for a rolling road with me!
Old 30-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #41
vossy

User Gallery
its right in the centre of launceton, near a big co-op

looking great now james, i want your seats
vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #42
sandy309

User Gallery
Co-op, AKA Leo's!

SRD do most of my headwork and I use the rollers a lot.
Old 30-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #43
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_C View Post
I could be making a trip up there soon then! However I'll need directions.

Do you work there Sandy?

EDIT: Sorry James, totally forgot this is your blog!

You can come up to SRD for a rolling road with me!
Sounds like a plan Would be good to get a figure for before and after engine work.
Old 30-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #44
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by vossy View Post
its right in the centre of launceton, near a big co-op

looking great now james, i want your seats

Cheers Leo, they're great and very reasonably priced if you look around on the net!
Old 31-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #45
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Fitted the brakes and lines today, thanks again to Sandy for his skills (even though I did most of it ) and Colin for the workshop and pasties!

Only problem was that I couldn't find the bigger master cylinder before leaving home this morning, although I've just found it ! Pedal travel is a little long but not too bad really, maybe worth fitting the bigger one at some stage though, although braking power is really quite good!

Whilst up there we also weighed my car which came in at 810kgs, I think, and also a rim and tyre (forgotten the figure!). Car was a little heavier than we were expecting but not too bad. But its now a tad heavier again after fitting the brakes, as each corner was an extra 4.5kg over the standard ones, so an extra 9kg added overall But I might be getting some new (4kg each) 'ghetto pimp' rimz to counter act the brakes, but overall I'm very pleased
Old 31-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #46
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Also, found out this evening that the DTA E48 I've found (and more than likely going to buy) is based in Austria! Should I have to worry about import tax/customs? Or is that only on new stuff?

Quick pic
Old 31-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #47
sandy309

User Gallery
It was a good day James! Apart from that slight issue with the brake pipe, it went pretty smoothly too.

The Speedline Chrono 6.5x15 and A539 195/45, weighed 16.5kg. Ghetto pimp C5 "steels" will redress the balance Most of the weight gain from the brakes was the discs, I might look into a cheapish 2-piece disc solution.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #48
Dave_C

User Gallery Car Blog
How much weight do you think lost mate? I was hoping mine was around the 840-850kg mark with full interior and just sound deadening removed.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #49
James106xsi

User Gallery Car Blog
Well as standard they're 860kg (I think) so I've lost about 50kg overall You might be about 860-70 as the 16v engine is a tad heavier than the 8v
Old 05-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #50
Dave_C

User Gallery Car Blog
I'll definatly have to get it weighed. I totally forgot about the engine, also I have a sub! Im doooomed !