home news shop history forum membership galleries regions calendar contact

Go Back   106 Rallye Register Forum > RALLYE REGISTER REGIONAL GROUPS > North West > North West Members Cars

Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
JAMason
WHOOPS! MEMBERSHIP JUST EXPIRED

User Gallery Car Blog
Jack Mason - 106 Rallye S1 8v

SOOOOOO! here we go again! Iv been and bought my self another S1 Rallye, and again its cherry red! Except this time, its better!!

Spec and Photos from the for sale thread!

122,500 miles
Blue HT leads
Rebuilt s1 gearbox
Heatwrapped Raceland manifold
2" Pugsport
Morettes
Smoothed bonnet...growing one me a bit!
Koni adjustable suspension all round
Refurbished s1 Steelies
Completely standard interior (Mint condition but needs a good scrub!)
2 months tax
6 months Mot
Full respray
and a boot full of spare bits and no where to put them!

I got the train at 11.50 this morning and arrived in Gloucester at about half 3 this evening (Sunday train Service is terrible!) where i Meet up with Rich Coleman, who kindly picked me up from the station and drove me to his place to have a look at the car. It really is a stunning example, a couple of little blemishes here and there, stone chips, and a small dint, but nothing i cant live with! As said, the interior is mint, no rips or burns, just needs a clean! (Will get some photos of my own this week when I have time and its lighter out!!)

So anyway, i got to the car and had a look over it, checked the accident damage, checked the usual rust spots, and everything else you can think of! Everything checked out, the only thing i could see was some stone chips to the rear arches and the usual poor jacking point injury where its all crushed and bent on the sills! Other than that it was MINT!

Then we went for an EPIC test drive, it drove so straight, pulled well, had no noises from the suspension and the gear box was spot on! So I decided that it was the one i wanted! Got back to Riches house and signed the deal! Here i am driving away!!

After getting to the petrol station and filling her up i set about making my self comfortable, adjusting the mirrors, the seats and setting up the sat nav and map to find my way home!! Turned the radio off as its very temperamental and i can live with the sound of the Pug sport, and this is where the fun happened and the rallye did what they all do...became French!

I had been driving for about an hour and everything was good, all levels seemed spot on it was pulling how you would expect and handling very well, just a bit tappety, then all of a sudden there a funny humming sound...then it went away...and came back and went away...and then came back louder...so me being a really woman about things i start thinking wheel baring, and my wheel is going to come off! Or the engine is going to blow up and im going to crash and DIE! I pulled over, made a call to the AA and for the other 56miles home I sat in the passenger seat of a truck and my rallye sat on the back of it!

They got me home safe and the rallye is now on my drive!! Im going to take it for another drive and try and get it to make the noise again, then take it to my local garage to see if they can diagnose the issue, its got to be a baring...clutch release, intermittent drive shaft baring, wheel baring, any of the above as it was a constant humming...it didnt seem to get louder with the engine speed, But came and went with the cars movement! I want it sorting and on the road! I cant blame Rich for the issues either, we went on a massive test drive with no issues and he showed me everything with the car good and bad, so he was 100% honest!

Then i have a shopping list of items to get and fit!
B&M quick shift
flocked dash
get the lights painted black instead of gray
Steering Wheel and Hub
Fit the 4-2-1
Get the door pockets Flocked and fit new ones of those!
Oil Catch Tank

Thats your lot really, just look after it and use it as little as possible! Im a very happy chap apart from the funny noise it made after 88 miles of driving, i will get it sorted though!

Jack

[CENTER]:s1:[/CENTER]
[CENTER]I have an unhealthy addiction to this forum! The Rally Register ruined my social life![/CENTER]
JAMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Rich Coleman

User Gallery Car Blog
Again Jack, I'm so sorry your new rallye ownership has ended up with the first day being on the back of an AA truck But glad you got home ok, even if it was a bit of a long old day for you!
I shall be keeping an eye on this thread, and hope you get the issue sorted soon.

Rich
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Ordered my Flocked Dash and my B&M quick shift! so thats 200 gone on it already! haha! Best get it fixed before i spend anymore!

[CENTER]I have an unhealthy addiction to this forum! The Rally Register ruined my social life![/CENTER]
Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
GazM

User Gallery Car Blog
Looks very nice Jack, I hope the noise doesn't turn out to be too expensive! Look forward to seeing some more pics!
GazM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
Looks like a well loved rallye.

I would just jack the front end up and try and re-create the noise.
curl666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Cyb3r
106 RALLYE REGISTER MEMBER

User Gallery Car Blog
I really really like this rallye. Looks a proper minter.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
This is why the noise hasnt bothered me at all! Because i know its one hell of clean example! Im going to get it serviced at the same time as the noise looked at, get it all sorted in one go! Then after that, carry on down my shopping list/ideas list until I have everything in my ownership and then fit it all in one go! She will be a nice little head turner!
PS thanks for the comments!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Cyb3r

User Gallery Car Blog
16v
Old 06-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
if i still have it when im 25 then yer maybe when insurance isnt such an issue and this little 8v is on its last legs...until then 8v ftw!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Cris B

User Gallery Car Blog
Nice one See you at a pub meet soon then?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris B View Post
Nice one See you at a pub meet soon then?
Yer you will, if i can sort the Noise i will bring the Rallye along to the next one!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
Hoyle

User Gallery Car Blog
Need to get over to yours this week for a nosey Jack! Looks like a lovely example!

That noise, I'd not worry yourself too much. You said it was road wheel/driveshaft associated as the noise was still present when you put the clutch in, so my guess would be a wheel bearing or the intermediate d/s bearing.

We'll get it sorted either way!

Hoyle.

[CENTER][FONT="Tahoma"][B][URL="http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/showthread.php?t=60484"]My S1 Blog[/URL][/B][/FONT]
:s1:[COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Tahoma"]S1 Revival! Cherry Red 8v[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]:s1:[/CENTER]

[CENTER][FONT="Tahoma"][B][COLOR="Red"]Also Collecting a few Audi's[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/CENTER]
Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
Sadako

User Gallery
16v s1 is ballistic
Old 07-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Im not to worried about it to be honest, it will just be a baring on its way out! Iv not driven it today as my day insurance is now void! So im going to get it insured later this week after iv had it serviced and this noise sorted out! No point in forking out 110 deposit for it to sit on my drive!

Hoyle, how are you at fitting 4-2-1 racelands?! I have this bad boy to go on

When its all sorted and back on the road and im insured i will bring it across to yours, not fair on you coming to mine all the time! Have a day getting my new Flocked Dash, OMP Wheel and possibly my 4-2-1 on the car and make a start maybe on getting your SD cage fitted, i can give you a hand making the brews and holding the tools! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
16v s1 is ballistic
haha! You enjoying it mate?! Yours did seem like a bit of a monster! Bet it weighs naff all as well! You coming the next pub meet in it?!
Jack

Last edited by JAMason; 07-02-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Misspiggy
EAST MIDLANDS GROUP LEADER

User Gallery
Woop team red 8v!

Looks good and i told you it wouldnt bother you when you drove it

[COLOR="Red"]10% discount to all RR members at constella.co.uk :) just email us for a paypal invoice to get th discount :) [/COLOR]
Misspiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
Sadako

User Gallery
may do jack can you do me a favour and link me up with details of it location etc

btw 8v racelands lot easier to fit than 16v ones
Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #17
Hoyle

User Gallery Car Blog
Jack, raceland onto an 8v is an easy one, may need to use shallower nuts on some of the studs, but easy enough!

Fancy selling it to me to test fit permanently to mine?

[CENTER][FONT="Tahoma"][B][URL="http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/showthread.php?t=60484"]My S1 Blog[/URL][/B][/FONT]
:s1:[COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Tahoma"]S1 Revival! Cherry Red 8v[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]:s1:[/CENTER]

[CENTER][FONT="Tahoma"][B][COLOR="Red"]Also Collecting a few Audi's[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 07-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #18
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspiggy View Post
Woop team red 8v!

Looks good and i told you it wouldnt bother you when you drove it
No, you were correct, drove nice and straight and looks like its been a good repair! Happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
may do jack can you do me a favour and link me up with details of it location etc

btw 8v racelands lot easier to fit than 16v ones
Here is the address for the Pub we always meet at!

Altrincham Road, Styal
Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 4LT
01625 526 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyle View Post
Jack, raceland onto an 8v is an easy one, may need to use shallower nuts on some of the studs, but easy enough!

Fancy selling it to me to test fit permanently to mine?
Yer you can have it for 2000,000,000! The heat wrap has to make it worth that at the least! :P

Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
Hoyle

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMason View Post
Yer you can have it for 2000,000,000! The heat wrap has to make it worth that at the least! :P
Gheeeeyyyyy!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #20
ash w
Banned

User Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspiggy View Post
Woop team red 8v!
+1 team red 8v
ash w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
Sadako

User Gallery
ah it would of been nice to be part of that team lol

looks tidy anyway jack ill get thread up once my renewal is done
Old 07-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #22
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Just been on the phone to my local garage (Loves of Chester) and they have had the car in the air and on a road test...apart from the fact they all said its one of the smartest little 106's they have had in despite the fact it had been in a crash they couldnt find or replicate the fault, so this leaves me at a loose end, there was defiantly something not quite wright with it, there was a loud humming, rubbing, spinning sound coming from the car and i want it fixing, i wont be confident to take it on long drives until i know the issue is fixed. Will get it home tonight and then fork out the 136 deposit on the insurance, then when its road worth spend my Saturday driving it about till i can hear the sound and take it straight back to the garage! :P
Jack

Couple from on my drive!

Will get some better ones this weekend! Going to spend some time cleaning it, and going through all spares I now have see what I should keep and what I can sell on!
Jack

Last edited by JAMason; 07-02-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #23
ash w
Banned

User Gallery
lookin good dude, you say its been in a crash? how bad?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #24
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Was a cat d back in 2006, front end damage! All sorted now though, tracked and aligned spot on, and repaired to a very good standard...only thing I can fault is the washer bottle isn't fitted propperly and is currently bundgy corded into place...dont think I'm going to bother sorting it as it's doing it's job and isn't going anywhere! spend my money on other things!
Currently got my eye on a full set of powerflex bushes on ebay for the front and rear suspension and beam see if I can afford them! Think I need to get some group n gear linkages 1st though! To match up with my new b&m quickshift...I also want a lower strut brace...this car is going to cost me so much completely defeating the object of getting it for lower tax and insurance brackets! Oh well it will keep me entertained and something to take pride in!
Jack

Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #25
Hoyle

User Gallery Car Blog
Wahey! It's rocking the same ramair filter that I've got!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #26
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
I was trying to figure out why the front bumper looked different, its only the black strip at the lower edge.

Had me puzzled! Car looks super clean condition!

In my opinion the full set of powerflex bushes are not very good value for money. I have always opted for polyrace items available from rallydesign.

I have polyrace middle wishbone bushes and rear beam mounts, with powerflex arb mounts. (only because polyrace do not sell arb mounts to suit)

Instead of the powerflex lower engine mount I run full GRP N engine mounts
Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #27
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
I just thought a full set for 117 delivered wasnt a bad price for Powerflex full bushes! I will look at rallydesign tomorrow when im "at work!" see if i can find a full set for a better price!
Jack

Old 07-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #28
ash w
Banned

User Gallery
does look good dude, how much has it been lowered by?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #29
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash w View Post
does look good dude, how much has it been lowered by?
Its not been lowered at all! Full adjustable Koni suspension and springs on the front at standard hight and gmax dampers on the rear at standard hight. Its just got monster 185/60r13 tyres on it!
Jack

Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #30
Hoyle

User Gallery Car Blog
185/60 r13's? WTF?

Lol, they loom like the correct tyre size to me, you say it's on refurbed S1 steels?

Ideally they'd need to be 175/60 R14 or, for extra width 185/55 R14. The latter really for 6J for S2 steels.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #31
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
I also run 175/60/14's @ standard height. Looks the best!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #32
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
I can check but im pretty sure they are standard 13" s1 steelies and currently on 185/60...i know they are 60 as Rich told me he had put 60's on instead of 55's as they were all he could get his hands on! They are brand new continentals though so im leaving them as they are, they look awesome, loads of life left in them and to be honest, look pretty good as well!
Hoyle...when you coming over to have a peep at it and a few beers out in Chester again?!
Jack

Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #33
ash w
Banned

User Gallery
there 14" s1 steels dude, just askin wot your ride hight is as i wana put my rallye at standard ride hight your rallye is quite tidy dude
Old 08-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #34
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
14" then! :P so they are 185/60r14 Just had a look on my lunch! WIN!

Old 08-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #35
Misspiggy
EAST MIDLANDS GROUP LEADER

User Gallery
Lol Jack! School boy error!

[COLOR="Red"]10% discount to all RR members at constella.co.uk :) just email us for a paypal invoice to get th discount :) [/COLOR]
Misspiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #36
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
wooops!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #37
Hoyle

User Gallery Car Blog
185/60 r14 is too big so your speedo will be out slightly.

You're rocking pug 205 tyre size by the sounds of it!

I'll be over your way this weekend or next! Just so bloody busy at the monent!!

Old 08-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #38
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Iv been on a massive spending spree!

Im expecting in the post this next week or so,

Group N lower engine mount
B&M quickshift
Flocked dash (Only the main body, no surround or air vents!)
Constella group N Gear Linkages

Im also hanging my nose over an OMP lower brace, an OMP steering wheel and an OMP Hub now as well! Iv also repackaged my other door bins (The ones in the car have been butchered to get some naff silver speakers fitted) to send them off and get flocked to match the dash! Building up a nice little collection of parts to put on the car!

Jack

Old 09-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #39
jameshilton
NORTH WEST GROUP LEADER & FORUM MODERATOR

User Gallery
Good to hear you're back in a Rallye. If I'm honest Jack I think the bonnet would have to go if it was mine! Looks a touch 'showy' if you know what I mean. Otherwise the pics show it to be a clean example, good find.
jameshilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #40
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
I know what you mean about the bonnet James, but I'm afraid it's staying for the foreseeable future! It's grown on me and I think it makes it a bit different! And the paint is pretty perfect! Over all I'm very happy!
Jack

Old 09-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #41
jameshilton
NORTH WEST GROUP LEADER & FORUM MODERATOR

User Gallery
You could get a little black or silver vinyl outline of the Peugoet Lion (like Dunc had) for the middle of the bonnet?

PS - tidied up the car threads in here Jack - renamed you're old ones and re-titled this one to the standard!

Last edited by jameshilton; 09-02-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
jameshilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #42
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Thank you James! Appreciate the sticky and making the thread title as normal!

And iv already ordered the little black Peugeot Lion Vinyl for the bonnet! That will be going on when i get it and iv given the car a good clean and made sure the bonnet spotless!
Jack

Edit! Look what arrived?!

What is this?! HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?!?!?!

Last edited by JAMason; 09-02-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #43
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
B&M?
- Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
- Seat Supercopa
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #44
dunc
Mike's Mechanic

User Gallery Car Blog
That size!

Dash.

been there, done that... got trailered home!
dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #45
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorallye View Post
B&M?
LOL! b&m SlowShift...MASSIVEshift?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc View Post
That size!

Dash.
Correct and obvious! I will get it home after work and unwrapped see the quality of the Flocking! It was only 84 for the dash and 20 for postage so im not expecting autoflock standards but as long as its clean and not coming off im happy!

Jack

Another Edit! Its not bad for the price, it's really thick flock and not comming off or marked! The inside edge of the glove box hasn't been covered, and there isn't any surrounds as stated, so they are still plastic off my old dash, but I'm happy with it for the price! Will fit it when the rest o my parts arrive and I make a decision on the wheel I'm having!

Picture off my crap iPhone camera!

Jack

Last edited by JAMason; 09-02-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #46
indigorallye
Mod & Rallye Racer

User Gallery Car Blog
So, we going to have a north west get together and blitz it in one go?
- Winner of Dave Simpson Memorial Trophy

- Britcar 24hour 2015, 2nd in class, 14th O/A
- Seat Supercopa
indigorallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #47
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
Enjoy fitting that sexy dashboard
Old 09-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #48
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorallye View Post
So, we going to have a north west get together and blitz it in one go?
If everyone is willing to do that then im sure i can put the kettle on for everyone! Rip my rallye apart and then rebuild it better!

WIN!

Curl, i actually cant wait to get it in, but i want to spend this weekend doing everything else first...interior out and cleaned, the carpet needs a jet wash and the seats need a good shampooing! As its not being used i reckon after work Saturday i will start stripping it back and washing it all!

Jack

Last edited by JAMason; 09-02-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #49
curl666

User Gallery Car Blog
I done the same to my interior and took it all out and hosed it all down. It came up brilliantly, but the seats took forever to dry!

1 week in front of the fire!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #50
JAMason

User Gallery Car Blog
HAHA! I dont intend to soak my seats! Just shampoo and brush and then repeat untill the bottle of Autoglym is empty and the seats are all spotless and im taking my carpet to the local jet was to blast it off, then walk home with it...haha...dripping wet! Everything needs to come out and be given a good scrub!
Jack